CBP awaiting "guidance" to form policy on same-sex marriage derivative admissions


CBP awaiting “guidance” to form policy on same-sex marriage derivative admissions

Department of State and United States Citizenship and Immigration Services have taken active steps to prepare their agencies to receive applications relating to same-sex couples based on the Windsor decision. For most families the next step will be to file an I-130 and to proceed either with adjustment of status if they are currently present in the United States or continuing on to Consular Process their Immigrant Visa Petition at their local embassy if they are abroad. These agencies are ready to process petitions immediately.

Customs and Border Protection, however, is slightly more hesitant. In a recent teleconference with representatives from the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) CBP officials stated that at the moment whether one will be permitted to enter as a spouse would be port-specific, and that “the agency is awaiting internal guidance from DHS [Department of Homeland Security] and DOJ [Department of Justice] before issuing any guidance to the field.” This means that if you intend to enter the U.S. from abroad as a derivative, you (or your attorney) should contact the port (airport, land border entry point or sea port) through which you intend to enter for guidance.

Written by:

Published In:

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Davis Brown Law Firm | Attorney Advertising

Don't miss a thing! Build a custom news brief:

Read fresh new writing on compliance, cybersecurity, Dodd-Frank, whistleblowers, social media, hiring & firing, patent reform, the NLRB, Obamacare, the SEC…

…or whatever matters the most to you. Follow authors, firms, and topics on JD Supra.

Create your news brief now - it's free and easy »

All the intelligence you need, in one easy email:

Great! Your first step to building an email digest of JD Supra authors and topics. Log in with LinkedIn so we can start sending your digest...

Sign up for your custom alerts now, using LinkedIn ›

* With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name.