Compensation for Police Officers Injured in Auto Accidents


A St. Petersburg police officer was injured after the police car he was driving collided with a telephone pole. The accident occurred late at night, while investigating an auto theft and an aggravated assault on another officer. While pursuing the attacker, the officer swerved after another car pulled out of a driveway into his path. The collision caused the telephone pole to split in two, while the patrol car flipped over, trapping him in the vehicle.

When you serve your state and your fellow citizens as a police officer, you sometimes have to put your physical wellbeing at risk in the line of duty. Heroic acts of bravery by police officers make great headlines, but injuries suffered due to auto accidents rarely do. Nonetheless, if you are injured in this way, you need to get the necessary support to get back to operational readiness. When police officers in Sarasota and Manatee Counties get hurt in car accidents, they often turn to Attorney Bernie Walsh for assistance.

How can I get compensated?

The source of any compensation you can claim may depend on the nature of the accident. There are three main sources of compensation when injured in a car accident while on duty:

  • Workers compensation. Florida law requires the municipality, state or department that employs you to provide insurance in case you are injured in the course of your employment. This could include injuries you sustain in a car accident.
  • Motor insurance. Alternatively, if you own a car, you may be able to claim from your mandatory personal injury protection coverage.
  • Civil lawsuit. If your injuries were caused by the actions of a third party, you can sue the third party for their negligence or wrongful act. In this way, you can claim far more substantial compensation than may be available under workers compensation. Filing a lawsuit does not stop you also claiming workers compensation, but if you are successful in your claim against the third party, the amount you received in workers compensation benefits is reimbursed to your employer or its insurance provider.

Posted in Personal Injury

Tagged auto accident, auto accident attorney, personal injury attorney

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Shapiro Goldman Babboni & Walsh | Attorney Advertising

Written by:


Shapiro Goldman Babboni & Walsh on:

Readers' Choice 2017
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:

Sign up to create your digest using LinkedIn*

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.

Already signed up? Log in here

*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.