Complaining about a rent overcharge in New York City


This article explains the three options available to rent stabilized tenants in New York City who want to complain that the rent they pay is more than the law allows under the rent regulated systems in New York City and suggests that having such complaints decided by a judge is almost always a better option for tenants instead of filing a rent overcharge complaint with the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR), the state agency that processes and decides such complaints, which, it is suggested, is the least favorable option for tenants.

LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.

Published In: Residential Real Estate Updates

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Kenneth B. Hawco, Hawco Law Firm | Attorney Advertising

Don't miss a thing! Build a custom news brief:

Read fresh new writing on compliance, cybersecurity, Dodd-Frank, whistleblowers, social media, hiring & firing, patent reform, the NLRB, Obamacare, the SEC…

…or whatever matters the most to you. Follow authors, firms, and topics on JD Supra.

Create your news brief now - it's free and easy »


Kenneth B. Hawco
Hawco Law Firm

Manhattan civil litigator whose clients include injured persons, both in New York and around the... View Profile »

Follow Hawco Law Firm:

Reporters on Deadline