In this issue:
- SEC Seeks Information to Assess Standards of Conduct and Other Obligations of Broker-Dealers and Investment Advisers
- Frequently Asked Questions About Legal Entity Identifiers
- CFTC Approves CME Swap Data Reporting Rule
- NFA Proposes Amendment Permitting Certain Loans by Commodity Pools to Related Entities
- Supreme Court Denies SEC Extra Time to Bring Enforcement Actions for Civil Penalties
- Delaware Chancery Court Addresses Records Inspection Requests Standards
- An excerpt from "SEC Seeks Information to Assess Standards of Conduct and Other Obligations of Broker-Dealers and Investment Advisers"
The Securities and Exchange Commission issued a request for data and other information that the SEC will review while considering alternative standards of conduct for broker-dealers and investment advisers when they provide personalized investment advice about securities to retail customers. A retail customer is defined as a natural person or his or her legal representative who receives personalized investment advice about securities from a broker, dealer or investment adviser and uses such advice primarily for personal, family or household purposes. The request for data summarizes the legal distinctions between investment advisers and broker-dealers, such as a fiduciary duty standard for investment advisers, and cites studies that suggest that many retail customers are not aware of the differences between investment advisers and broker-dealers.
Please see full newsletter below for more information.
Firefox recommends the PDF Plugin for Mac OS X for viewing PDF documents in your browser.
We can also show you Legal Updates using the Google Viewer; however, you will need to be logged into Google Docs to view them.
Please choose one of the above to proceed!
LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.
Topics: Broker-Dealer, CFTC, CME, Commodity Pool, Dodd-Frank, Investment Adviser, Legal Entity Identifiers, NFA, SCOTUS, SEC, Swaps
Business Organization Updates, Civil Procedure Updates, Commercial Law & Contracts Updates, Finance & Banking Updates, Securities Law Updates
DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.
© Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP | Attorney Advertising