In the March 14, 2012 Federal Register (77 Fed. Reg. 14989), CMS published a final rule that modifies certain of the DMEPOS supplier standards set forth at 42 C.F.R. Section 424.57(c) (commonly referred to as the “Supplier Standards”). The final rule, effective April 13, 2012, implements the April 4, 2011 proposed rule (76 Fed. Reg. 18472) without modification. In particular, the 2012 final rule makes the following changes:
• Removes the definition of “direct solicitation” and limits the supplier solicitation prohibitions to telephone contact;
• Allows suppliers to contract with licensed agents to provide DMEPOS supplies, unless such contractual arrangement is prohibited by State law;
• Removes the requirement for compliance with local zoning laws;
• Modifies certain state licensure requirement exceptions for orthotic and prosthetic professionals; and
• Clarifies that physical and occupational therapists are exempt from the requirement to be open 30 hours per week.
Please see full alert below for more information.
Firefox recommends the PDF Plugin for Mac OS X for viewing PDF documents in your browser.
We can also show you Legal Updates using the Google Viewer; however, you will need to be logged into Google Docs to view them.
Please choose one of the above to proceed!
LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.