Yesterday, the House Democrats chose Rep. Mark Eves of North Berwick as their nominee for Maine’s next speaker of the House of Representatives. The House Democrats selected Rep. Seth Berry of Bowdoinham as their majority leader and Rep. Jeff McCabe of Skowhegan as the assistant majority leader.
Sen. Justin Alfond of Portland ran unopposed and was nominated by the Senate Democrats to be Senate president. Also running unopposed and chosen were Sen. Seth Goodall of Richmond as majority leader, and Sen. Troy Jackson of Allagash as majority whip.
Today, the House Republicans chose Rep. Ken Fredette of Newport as minority leader and Rep. Alex Willette as the new minority whip.
The Senate Republicans chose their leaders last week. Sen. Michael Thibodeau of Winterport was named minority leader and Sen. Roger Katz of Augusta was named assistant minority leader.
There are ten House and Senate recounts that began today and are expected to continue through Thanksgiving. The current recount schedule is below:
Wednesday, November 14
• HD 80 – Rachel Lynne Sukeforth (D); Melvin Newendyke (R)
• HD 127 – Paul Aranson (D); Amy F. Volk (R)
• HD 94 – Teresea M. Hayes (D); Timothy G. Turner (R)
Thursday, November 15
• HD 70 – R. Wayne Werts (D); Bruce A. Bickford (R)
• HD 144 – William F. Noon (D); Daniel John Archambault (R)
• HD 109 – Anne P. Graham (D); Susan M. Austin (R)
Friday, November 16
• SD 17 – Colleen J. Quint (D); Garrett Paul Mason (R)
Monday, November 19
• HD 45 – Brian L. Jones (D); R. Ryan Harmon (R) [TENTATIVE]
• HD 137 – Alan M. Casavant (D); William M. Guay (R) [TENTATIVE]
An unsigned request for HD 29 – Stanley Byron Short (D); Robert G. Engelhardt (R) has been submitted.
For more information on the election results and upcoming recounts, please contact Dan Riley at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kate Knox at email@example.com. Both can be reached at 207 774-1200.