The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a final guidance document titled The 510(k) Program: Evaluating Substantial Equivalence in Premarket Notifications [510(k)] (July 28, 2014) (“SE Guidance”). The SE Guidance discusses FDA’s process for evaluating 510(k) submissions and determining whether a new device is substantially equivalent (SE) to its predicate device(s). More specifically, the SE Guidance attempts to provide clarity on the following:
• Appropriate use of predicate devices, including multiple predicates;
• When new indications for use may be considered a new intended use;
• When different technological characteristics raise different questions of safety and effectiveness;
• When performance data, particularly clinical data, may be necessary to support an SE determination; and
• Preparation of 510(k) Summaries
Please see full alert below for more information.
Firefox recommends the PDF Plugin for Mac OS X for viewing PDF documents in your browser.
We can also show you Legal Updates using the Google Viewer; however, you will need to be logged into Google Docs to view them.
Please choose one of the above to proceed!
LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.