How Do I Correct My Immigration Records After Resolving a Tentative Non-confirmation?


E-Verify compares information from an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to information compiled from various government agencies. If the information matches, the employee is eligible to work in the U.S. If the information does not match, E-Verify will alert the employer and the employee will be allowed to work while he or she resolves the problem.  This is known as a Tentative Non-confirmation (“TNC”) and if you have received one, your immigration records may be inaccurate.  Once you have successfully resolved the TNC by following the steps on the Further Action Notice, additional steps can be taken to correct your immigration records:

  1. Contact USCIS to correct your Permanent Resident Card or Employment Authorization Document.  Scheduling an infopass appointment is the fastest way to correct your USCIS records.
  2. If the error in your records occurred when you entered the U.S., contact USCIS or CBP to correct your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record.
  3. Visit the USCIS Web site at for information on how to renew or replace your immigration document.
  4. Contact the Student and Exchange Visitor Program.

Topics:  E-Verify, Immigration Records, Recordkeeping Requirements, Tentative Nonconfirmation, USCIS

Published In: Immigration Updates, Labor & Employment Updates

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC | Attorney Advertising

Don't miss a thing! Build a custom news brief:

Read fresh new writing on compliance, cybersecurity, Dodd-Frank, whistleblowers, social media, hiring & firing, patent reform, the NLRB, Obamacare, the SEC…

…or whatever matters the most to you. Follow authors, firms, and topics on JD Supra.

Create your news brief now - it's free and easy »