How to Choose a Tax Preparer


We are in the middle of the tax season. The deadline to file your taxes this year is April 17. If you intend to engage a tax preparer to prepare your tax returns, you need to do so now if you have not already. Your tax preparer should be a professional with the relevant knowledge and experience in presenting your tax information to the IRS through your tax return.

Bear in mind that knowingly providing false information on your tax return is a crime, so you should ensure that whatever is written by your tax preparer on your tax forms is accurate. It goes without saying that you should also ensure no fraudulent means are used to cheat the system and obtain refunds or credits you are not entitled to. The law holds you, not your tax preparer, responsible for the accuracy of the tax information in your tax return.
In view of this, you should only hire a tax preparer with the utmost standards of integrity and competence to prepare your tax forms. Here are some ways you can ensure that:

1. Ask for your tax preparer’s Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) that shows he or she is a registered tax preparer

2. Ask if your tax preparer is affiliated with any reputable firm that prepares tax returns and holds its preparers accountable for their work

3. Ask for details of previous tax cases your tax preparer has worked with before, especially on cases similar to yours

4. Avoid hiring tax preparers who promise you more refunds than other preparers

5. Avoid tax preparers who charge you a percentage of your refunds as their fees

6. Make sure your tax preparer states his PTIN and signs on your tax form and that he or she is contactable months or even years after your tax return has been submitted. This is so that your preparer can provide answers to the IRS in case of an audit.

7. Do not ever sign a blank tax form

8. Ask for recommendations from friends or family members

9. Never trust a tax preparer who encourages you to be dishonest on your tax forms

If you do have a dispute over your tax case, only a tax attorney, CPA or enrolled agent can represent you before the IRS. If your tax preparer is not one of these categories of professionals, then he or she can only represent you in the event of an audit on a tax return that he has personally prepared.

If you need help in your taxes, call us at (813) 229 7100 for a free consultation.


Written by:

Published In:


DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Darrin Mish, Tampa Tax Attorney, The Law Offices of Darrin Mish, P.A. | Attorney Advertising

Don't miss a thing! Build a custom news brief:

Read fresh new writing on compliance, cybersecurity, Dodd-Frank, whistleblowers, social media, hiring & firing, patent reform, the NLRB, Obamacare, the SEC…

…or whatever matters the most to you. Follow authors, firms, and topics on JD Supra.

Create your news brief now - it's free and easy »

All the intelligence you need, in one easy email:

Great! Your first step to building an email digest of JD Supra authors and topics. Log in with LinkedIn so we can start sending your digest...

Sign up for your custom alerts now, using LinkedIn ›

* With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name.