In This Issue:
- Germany Designates Latham & Watkins International Arbitration Co-chair Sebastian Seelmann-Eggebert to ICSID Panel
- Choice of Venue in International Arbitration: A Book to Guide Tactical Venue Decisions
- EU Commission to Publish Investment Portions of EU-US Trade Deal and to Call for Comments
- Canada Ratifies the ICSID Convention
- German Federal Court of Justice Declines to Opine on Validity of Intra-EU Investment Treaties
- Argentina Settles Investment Treaty Awards
- Argentina and Ghana Settle Arbitration Over Detained Argentinian Warship ARA Libertad
- The AAA and ICDR Offer a New Optional Arbitral Appeal Process and Update the Commercial Arbitration Rules
- The Supreme Court of Lithuania Seeks Clarification from the European Court of Justice in Gazprom v. Lithuania
- International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea Rejects Amicus Curiae Submission and Orders Release of Greenpeace Ship
- Institution Updates: Jerusalem Arbitration Centre Opens and the Permanent Court of Arbitration Hosts Its First Arbitration in Hong Kong
- Tribunal Dismisses the ICSID Case KT Asia v. Kazakhstan for Absence of an Investment
- London Steam Ship Owners Mutual Insurance Ltd v. Kingdom of Spain and another
- Singapore Court of Appeal: Award Debtor’s Challenge Upheld
- Excerpt from EU Trade Commissioner Karel de Gucht to consult the public on the investment provisions of a future Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).
According to a 21 January 2014 European Commission Press Release,1 the draft text for the investment portion of the TTIP will be published in early March. The draft will then be open for public debate and comments for three months. The decision follows the increased public interest in the trade talks with the US and public discussion of investor-to-State dispute settlement (ISDS) since negotiations with the US launched.
Please see full newsletter below for more information.