Involved in a Car Accident with a Government Employee?

by Barry P. Goldberg, A Professional Law Corporation

What happens if you are involved in an auto accident with a police car, fire truck, ambulance, city bus, or mail truck in the San Fernando Valley?

Government Immunity

It can be challenging to sue the government (whether city, county, state, or federal), but it is not impossible; especially with the assistance of a skilled personal injury attorney. The difficulties can be due to the fact that government agencies have immunity that allows them to escape liability for some actions or omissions, even if a private individual or entity would be liable for the same conduct. This means that the government is only liable in cases where it has waived immunity and given consent to be sued.

Exceptions for Car Accidents

Both the federal government and many states (California included) have created exceptions to government immunity that allow them to be sued for personal injury accidents caused by a government employee, for accidents involving government-owned vehicles, and for accidents caused by dangerous highway conditions. The laws that allow the government to be sued include strict guidelines for filing an injury claim and bringing a lawsuit. If you do not follow these rules, you lose the right to receive compensation for injuries caused by the government.

Statute of Limitations for a Claim Against the Government

In California, an individual generally has 2 years to file a lawsuit for financial reimbursement for damages from a personal injury. After 2 years from the date of injury, the statute of limitations expires and you lose the right to file a lawsuit. If the injury was not discovered at the time of the incident, then you have 1 year from the date that you discovered the injury.

However, as per the California Tort Claims Act, if you are suing a public entity or government agency (city, county, state, federal, or a branch thereof), you must file an administrative claim with the government agency within 6 months from the date of the incident. If your claim is denied within 45 days, then you have 6 months from the date of denial to file your lawsuit. If you do not receive a denial, then you still have 2 years from the date of the incident. Consult an attorney as soon as possible so that you can take the proper steps to preserve your claim if you were involved in an accident with a government vehicle.

Government Affiliated Organizations

If an employee of an organization funded by the state is involved in an accident or injury, it may not be clear if you have to follow the California Tort Claims Act if the organization is not an official state agency. The question turns on whether the organization is an "arm" of the state. It is always best to be extra careful and file an administrative claim to any government branch or organization that may be at fault. The possible intricacies of a lawsuit against the government is reason enough to seek representation by a personal injury attorney experienced in the field of auto accidents.


DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Barry P. Goldberg, A Professional Law Corporation | Attorney Advertising

Written by:

Barry P. Goldberg, A Professional Law Corporation

Barry P. Goldberg, A Professional Law Corporation on:

Readers' Choice 2017
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:
Sign up using*

Already signed up? Log in here

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.
Privacy Policy (Updated: October 8, 2015):

JD Supra provides users with access to its legal industry publishing services (the "Service") through its website (the "Website") as well as through other sources. Our policies with regard to data collection and use of personal information of users of the Service, regardless of the manner in which users access the Service, and visitors to the Website are set forth in this statement ("Policy"). By using the Service, you signify your acceptance of this Policy.

Information Collection and Use by JD Supra

JD Supra collects users' names, companies, titles, e-mail address and industry. JD Supra also tracks the pages that users visit, logs IP addresses and aggregates non-personally identifiable user data and browser type. This data is gathered using cookies and other technologies.

The information and data collected is used to authenticate users and to send notifications relating to the Service, including email alerts to which users have subscribed; to manage the Service and Website, to improve the Service and to customize the user's experience. This information is also provided to the authors of the content to give them insight into their readership and help them to improve their content, so that it is most useful for our users.

JD Supra does not sell, rent or otherwise provide your details to third parties, other than to the authors of the content on JD Supra.

If you prefer not to enable cookies, you may change your browser settings to disable cookies; however, please note that rejecting cookies while visiting the Website may result in certain parts of the Website not operating correctly or as efficiently as if cookies were allowed.

Email Choice/Opt-out

Users who opt in to receive emails may choose to no longer receive e-mail updates and newsletters by selecting the "opt-out of future email" option in the email they receive from JD Supra or in their JD Supra account management screen.


JD Supra takes reasonable precautions to insure that user information is kept private. We restrict access to user information to those individuals who reasonably need access to perform their job functions, such as our third party email service, customer service personnel and technical staff. However, please note that no method of transmitting or storing data is completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of user information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time.

If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, you must immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us at In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your user information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development and, if so, will endeavor to do so as promptly as practicable under the circumstances.

Sharing and Disclosure of Information JD Supra Collects

Except as otherwise described in this privacy statement, JD Supra will not disclose personal information to any third party unless we believe that disclosure is necessary to: (1) comply with applicable laws; (2) respond to governmental inquiries or requests; (3) comply with valid legal process; (4) protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of JD Supra, users of the Service, Website visitors or the public; (5) permit us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain; and (6) enforce our Terms & Conditions of Use.

In the event there is a change in the corporate structure of JD Supra such as, but not limited to, merger, consolidation, sale, liquidation or transfer of substantial assets, JD Supra may, in its sole discretion, transfer, sell or assign information collected on and through the Service to one or more affiliated or unaffiliated third parties.

Links to Other Websites

This Website and the Service may contain links to other websites. The operator of such other websites may collect information about you, including through cookies or other technologies. If you are using the Service through the Website and link to another site, you will leave the Website and this Policy will not apply to your use of and activity on those other sites. We encourage you to read the legal notices posted on those sites, including their privacy policies. We shall have no responsibility or liability for your visitation to, and the data collection and use practices of, such other sites. This Policy applies solely to the information collected in connection with your use of this Website and does not apply to any practices conducted offline or in connection with any other websites.

Changes in Our Privacy Policy

We reserve the right to change this Policy at any time. Please refer to the date at the top of this page to determine when this Policy was last revised. Any changes to our privacy policy will become effective upon posting of the revised policy on the Website. By continuing to use the Service or Website following such changes, you will be deemed to have agreed to such changes. If you do not agree with the terms of this Policy, as it may be amended from time to time, in whole or part, please do not continue using the Service or the Website.

Contacting JD Supra

If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, your dealings with this Web site, or if you would like to change any of the information you have provided to us, please contact us at:

- hide
*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.
Feedback? Tell us what you think of the new!