I was recently asked to review a new website for a friend and give some high-level advice on how to get started with basic law firm SEO. I thought I would share my recommendations here for those of you looking for some do-it-yourself instructions on how to optimize your own law firm website, along with a few broader inbound marketing tips.
Before we get started, a few caveats:
• I am going to assume that you are either using Wordpress as a CMS or have at least some familiarity HTML and CSS.
• I am going to assume that you already have a decent website. Hopefully you used an SEO-friendly Wordpress theme that will give you a solid site architecture and allow you to easily customize your meta tags.
• This post is about the basics. Just doing these things will put you ahead of much of your competition, but there’s much more that could be said.
Let’s get started.
The Easy(ish) Part – On-Site Setup and Optimization
1. Set up Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, and Bing Webmaster Tools. Consider using a heatmap tracking system like CrazyEgg for more site intelligence.
2. Be sure your server is configured correctly. Go to http://responsetester.appspot.com/ and enter in your URL. Be sure that you get a good grade. If not, talk to your host or IT person. Get it fixed.
READ THE ARTICLE FOR MORE INFORMATION, INCLUDING LINKS TO SEO TOOLS AND RESOURCES
Firefox recommends the PDF Plugin for Mac OS X for viewing PDF documents in your browser.
We can also show you Legal Updates using the Google Viewer; however, you will need to be logged into Google Docs to view them.
Please choose one of the above to proceed!
LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.