In This Publication:
- Letter From The Guest Editor 3
- Copyright And Free Speech In The Age Of Digital Piracy 6
- Tougher Copyright Laws Won't Solve Big Media's Internet Problem, But They Will Stifle Innovation 9
- Location Information - Increasing Concerns 13
- Europe Implements New "Cookie Law": May 25, 2011
- Online Behavioral Advertising Litigation And Proposed Legislation: Lessons For Online Publishers And Advertisers 20
- Recent FTC Enforcement Actions Involving Endorsements, Privacy And Data Security
- App-Endectomy: Removing The Mystery From The App Ecosystem 32
- Social Networking: Why Can't We Be Friends? 37
Excerpt from Letter From The Guest Editor: Disruptive Technology Presents Challenges And Opportunities For Media And Entertainment Companies - And The Lawyers That Advise Them....
I am pleased to be invited back this year to guest edit another issue of M/E Insights. Last year, I predicted increased enforcemnt by the Federal Trade Commission ("FTC") with respect to the use of social and online media to promote products and services under the FTC's then-recently-revised Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonial in Advertising, and warned you to expect greater federal attention to issues involving consumer data privacy and security. As many of the articles in this edition demonstrate, both forecasts have come to pass. In addition, the class action plaintiffs' bar has discovered the "privacy issue," and lawsuits related to companies' online and mobile privacy policies and practices abound. Also, the evolution of technology has continued to bring even more new ways to interact with media, and with that, concerns regarding the balance of consumer choice (and rights) with copyright owners' legitimate protection.
Please see full publication below for more information.
Firefox recommends the PDF Plugin for Mac OS X for viewing PDF documents in your browser.
We can also show you Legal Updates using the Google Viewer; however, you will need to be logged into Google Docs to view them.
Please choose one of the above to proceed!
LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.