In This Issue:
- Criminal Background Checks on Employees
- Lottery Winnings and Gift Taxes
- Fair Housing Act Doesn’t Apply to Roommates
- Land Purchasers Get Money Back
- LLC Member Personally Liable
- Umbrella Insurance Policies
- Car Safety
- Excerpt from Fair Housing Act Doesn't Apply to Roommates:
An online roommate matching website helps compatible roommates to find each other. Part of the process requires users of the service to answer questions about their gender and sexual orientation and whether children will be living with them. Users are asked to give their preferences as to those same characteristics so that likeminded individuals can be matched. This process came to the attention of some nonprofit housing rights organizations that unsuccessfully sued the roommate service, alleging violations of the federal Fair Housing Act (FHA).
Please see full newsletter below for more information.
Firefox recommends the PDF Plugin for Mac OS X for viewing PDF documents in your browser.
We can also show you Legal Updates using the Google Viewer; however, you will need to be logged into Google Docs to view them.
Please choose one of the above to proceed!
LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.