The Academic Laboratory Exception


Part One: Determining Eligibility

The federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, usually referred to as “RCRA”, governs the storage and disposal of hazardous waste, including hazardous medical waste. In addition to generally applicable regulations, RCRA provides a set of alternative rules, called the “Alternative Requirements for Hazardous Waste Determination and Accumulation of Unwanted Material for Laboratories Owned by Colleges and Universities and Other Eligible Entities Formally Affiliated with Colleges and Universities”, 40 C.F.R. 262, Subpart K. This alternative set of rules, sometimes referred to as the “Academic Lab Exception” or simply “Subpart K”, provides eligible academic laboratories with the option of complying with a less onerous set of requirements. These alternative requirements reflect the fact that academic laboratories are generally low volume waste generators compared to the industrial generators typically regulated under RCRA.

On its face, the Academic Lab Exception applies only to those few states that have not been granted the authority by EPA to implement their own hazardous waste laws. Nonetheless, many states still incorporate the federal Academic Lab Exception into their rules by reference. For example, Michigan’s hazardous waste laws are governed by Part 111 of Michigan’s Natural Resource and Environmental Protection, which supersedes the federal RCRA program. Part 111 in turn incorporates the Academic Lab Exception in R 299.9313 and makes the state department of environmental quality, and not the EPA, responsible for enforcing the rules.

To determine whether a specific laboratory is eligible for the Academic Lab Exception, an entity must first determine whether the laboratory is one of three types that qualify for the exception. Upon determining that a laboratory meets one of the three types of eligible laboratories, an entity must then determine whether the lab meets the definition of a “laboratory”. The rules define “laboratory” as “an area owned by an eligible academic entity where relatively small quantities of chemicals and other substances are used on a non-production basis for teaching or research […] and are stored and used in containers that are easily manipulated by one person.” Under this definition, not only would scientific laboratories be considered “laboratories,” but photo laboratories, university farms, field laboratories and even art studios would also be able to qualify as “laboratories” under the Academic Lab Exception.

Finally, in order to be regulated under Subpart K, the eligible entity must notify the EPA Regional Administrator (or in the case of Michigan, the state DEQ Director) of the entities choice to be regulated under Subpart K. In addition, while the Academic Lab Exception applies regardless of the laboratory’s volume generator status, the laboratory will also need to qualify by amount, which will be discussed in Part Two of this series.

Written by:

Published In:

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Dickinson Wright | Attorney Advertising

Don't miss a thing! Build a custom news brief:

Read fresh new writing on compliance, cybersecurity, Dodd-Frank, whistleblowers, social media, hiring & firing, patent reform, the NLRB, Obamacare, the SEC…

…or whatever matters the most to you. Follow authors, firms, and topics on JD Supra.

Create your news brief now - it's free and easy »

All the intelligence you need, in one easy email:

Great! Your first step to building an email digest of JD Supra authors and topics. Log in with LinkedIn so we can start sending your digest...

Sign up for your custom alerts now, using LinkedIn ›

* With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name.