In honor of Veterans Day, this alert addresses contractors’ obligations with respect to veterans. As readers of this blog are aware, on August 27, 2013, the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs released its final rule affecting federal contractor obligations under the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act. Among other obligations, the final rule establishes hiring benchmarks for protected veterans; requires contractors to invite applicants for employment to self-identify as protected veterans; and establishes additional “invitation to self-identify” requirements.
On November 6, 2013, the U.S. Secretary of Labor, Thomas Perez, spoke at the Department of Labor’s annual Salute to Veterans and urged employers to recruit and hire veterans. The press release discussing Perez’s remarks also listed several resources veterans can use in their job search:
- American Job Centers at http://jobcenter.usa.gov
- My Next Move for Veterans at http://www.mynextmove.org/vets/
- Transition Assistance Program at http://www.militaryonesource.mil/transition
- Women’s Veterans Initiative at http://www.dol.gov/vets/womenveterans/
- Veterans’ Employment and Training Service at http://www.dol.gov/vets/
Contractors are reminded on this day to review their programs for recruiting and hiring veterans and ensure they are engaging in appropriate outreach and recruiting activities.