Who Pays When The Other Driver Is Uninsured Or Underinsured?


Uninsured and underinsured motorists do not have the coverage needed to adequately compensate victims for the expenses incurred during the accident. Many victims end up paying out-of-pocket to cover the cost of vital and necessary expenses. What victims may not know is that they have legal recourse through their own insurance policies.

Whether you are seeking compensation from the at-fault driver or your own insurance policy, you can have no greater advocate than an attorney who can advise you about how to move your case forward. Insurance companies train their agents to minimize payouts so that you receive only the minimum amount to which you may be entitled. A lawyer can help you sort through your auto-insurance coverage options:

  • Personal injury protection (PIP): Your auto insurance policy may include a PIP provision that covers the cost of medical, hospital and funeral expenses up to your policy limit. Some policies also include recovery for lost wages under income continuation and/or payment for substitute services.
  • Uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage: You may be one of many drivers in Washington who opted into UM/UIM coverage when you entered into your own auto insurance agreement. UM/UIM coverage may compensate you for your out-of-pocket expenses if the other driver has no insurance or insufficient insurance.
  • Collision policies: This opt-in insurance covers the cost of vehicle repairs up to the cash replacement value of your car, so long as you pay the required deductible.