5 IRS Tips for Newlyweds


It is not uncommon for those who are newly married to be issued a letter by the IRS when they file their taxes after their marriage. Receiving a letter from the IRS after you have filed your taxes generally means that they may have found something amiss with your tax returns. It might be a wrong name, a missing Social Security number, an accounting error and mismatched information such as underreported incomes or an unusually high number of credits on a return. These can potentially alert the IRS and cause them to seek clarification from you. For most newly married couples, the discrepancy might very well be something to do with your changed marital status.

Therefore, if you have just been married or intend to get married in this tax year, you can save yourself a lot of stress come tax season next year by following a few simple steps given by the IRS.

Please see full article below for more information.

LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Darrin Mish, Tampa Tax Attorney, The Law Offices of Darrin Mish, P.A. | Attorney Advertising

Written by:


The Law Offices of Darrin Mish, P.A. on:

Readers' Choice 2017
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:

Sign up to create your digest using LinkedIn*

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.

Already signed up? Log in here

*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.