Current and Future Trends in Wind Turbine Technology


Totaro & Associates has published a new study of the patent landscape of utility grade, horizontal axis wind turbines. We looked at 1461 patents in the US and provided a component and technology keyword classification, assessment of industry relevance as well as look at future technology trends in this space.

The results indicate that ~2% of the patents have been asserted or licensed or there is a high probability that they would be asserted in the near term given the similarity of OEM technology, about 6% cover technology which has yet to mature, but is likely to play a role in the future and the remaining 92% are largely irrelevant or only serve defensive purposes. The largest majority of inventions are directed towards controls and sensors, blades, electrical as well as generators. The necessity to improve component reliability and efficiency, as well as optimize turbine performance have been the driving forces behind those trends.

It also appears as though future technologies will be directed towards component weight / cost reduction, component transportation and assembly, fleet management, grid integration, as well as further turbine and wind farm performance optimizations.

LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Philip Totaro, Totaro & Associates | Attorney Advertising

Written by:


Totaro & Associates on:

Readers' Choice 2017
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:

Sign up to create your digest using LinkedIn*

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.

Already signed up? Log in here

*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.