Newlyweds Tax Changes


Spring and summer are wedding seasons for most couples. And for newlyweds, it’s important to make those small but crucial changes to your tax status in order to avoid problems later on. Here are some of them:

1. Update your married name (if there is any change). This obviously refers to the wife. If you have taken your husband’s last name, then you should inform the Social Security Administration. If you do not, and you and your husband file a joint tax submission, the computers at the IRS would not be able to match your married name with your Social Security number. The thing to do would be to update the Social Security card so your new married name matches your Social Security number. Go to the SSA website at and download Form SS-5, ‘Application for a Social Security Card’ or call toll-free 1-800-772-1213.

Please see full article below for more information.

LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Darrin Mish, Tampa Tax Attorney, The Law Offices of Darrin Mish, P.A. | Attorney Advertising

Written by:


The Law Offices of Darrin Mish, P.A. on:

Readers' Choice 2017
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:

Sign up to create your digest using LinkedIn*

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.

Already signed up? Log in here

*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.