Pay Taxes on Canceled Debt


If you have been forgiven a credit card debt, don’t be too quick to celebrate. Did you know you have to pay taxes on your canceled debts? Any canceled or forgiven debt is deemed as income by the IRS, so you have to declare it as such. If you don’t, you can expect the IRS to come after you.

The way it works is like this – when you are forgiven of a debt amounting to $600 or more, the creditor issues a form called Form 1099-C, a copy of which is sent to the IRS. Using this Form 1099-C, the IRS keeps track of those whose debts have been canceled and will expect you to declare it as income.

Please see full article below for more information.

LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Darrin Mish, Tampa Tax Attorney, The Law Offices of Darrin Mish, P.A. | Attorney Advertising

Written by:


The Law Offices of Darrin Mish, P.A. on:

Popular Topics
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:

Sign up to create your digest using LinkedIn*

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.

Already signed up? Log in here

*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.