Civil Judgments For Past Due Debts – Why Do I Care?


When you owe money for a past due debt – a credit card, deficiency judgment, old rent, whatever – the creditor can choose to sue you. When you fail to file a timely Answer to the Complaint (in New York, that’s either 20 days after you received the papers in hand or within 30 days of the filing of the Affidavit of Service, depending on how you were served) the creditor can take a judgment against you.

The judgment is a problem – a big one. In New York, the creditor can elect to restrain your bank account, withhold a portion of your paycheck, and in general make a mess of things.

LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Jay Fleischman, Shaev & Fleischman LLP | Attorney Advertising

Written by:


Shaev & Fleischman LLP on:

Popular Topics
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:

Sign up to create your digest using LinkedIn*

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.

Already signed up? Log in here

*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.