Ms. Benedict specializes in advising and representing clients and corporations on criminal matters, providing both direct criminal defense, as well as assisting in the recovery of assets from criminal activity. Ms. Benedict is also an experienced appellate advocate, representing clients before the California Court of Appeal, the California Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court. She has submitted in excess of 200 appellate briefs, in a wide range of matters including maritime, white collar crime, and corporate law.
In addition to her criminal and appellate practice, Ms. Benedict also represents clients in personal injury matters, advocating on behalf of injured cyclists, businesses in liability matters, and general insurance defense.
Prior to joining GOGG, Ms. Benedict managed her own law practice for six years. Her focus was on civil and criminal appeals, as well as general litigation. Before then, Ms. Benedict worked as a staff attorney at a not-for-profit law firm administering the appointed counsel program for indigent defendants on appeal.
Ms. Benedict earned her law degree from the University of San Diego School of Law, where she served as Vice President of the Student Bar Association. She earned her B.A. from University of California, Santa Barbara, and was a member of their NCAA women's soccer team.
Ms. Benedict loves the San Diego outdoors. She is an avid cyclist who also enjoys racing triathlons and mountain bike riding. Ms. Benedict has successfully completed an Ironman triathlon and several half-ironman triathlons. In addition to cycling, Ms. Benedict enjoys playing weekly soccer games, golf, and sailing.
United States Supreme Court (2002)
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit (2006)
United States District Court, Southern, Central and Northern Districts of California
University of San Diego School of Law, J.D.
University of California, Santa Barbara, B.A.
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Bar Association
California Bar Association
California Appellate Defense Counsel
San Diego Defense Lawyers
San Diego County Bar Association
Honors and Awards
Recognition and Awards
• Recognized in the San Diego Edition of Super Lawyers® in the Appellate Category (2011)
• Endurance Sports Awards, Triathlon Club of San Diego Member of the Year, 2003.
• “Impact of the Title IX Legislation”, Title IX 40th Anniversary Celebration, 2012
• "Eighteenth Annual Statewide Conference and Seminar," California Appellate Defense Counsel, March 18-19, 2011.
• “Appellate Issues”, The Private Defenders of California Annual Conference, January, 2011.
• “Know Your Rights – Teen’s Rights in the Legal System, La Costa Canyon High School Seniors, 2009
• “Making A Record for Appeal”, Criminal Defense Bar, North County, 2005
• “Recognizing and Addressing Bias in the Legal Profession”, Criminal Defense Bar, South Bay, 2005
• “Dealing with Difficult Clients,” Appellate Defenders, Inc., Appointed Appellate Counsel Luncheon, 2005