In and out of the courtroom, Diana L. Skaggs is on the forefront of new developments in the practice of family law, and is recognized for her innovation in the field as well as her continued dedication to families, children and public service. She received the Louisville Bar Association’s 2006 Revell Family Law Award in honor of these commitments. Her most recent honor is being elected a Diplomate to the American College of Family Trial Lawyers. Past President of the Kentucky Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Attorneys, Skaggs takes an active role in professional organizations and frequently teaches other family law attorneys and judges at continuing legal education courses. She is A.V. rated by Martindale-Hubbell, listed in 2008 - present Best Lawyers in America in the field of family law (Copyright 2012 Woodward/White, Inc. of Aiken S.C.) and selected for inclusion in 2007-present Super Lawyers as being among the top 5% of family lawyers and one of the top 25 women lawyers in Kentucky across all fields of practice.
Skaggs, who received her Juris Doctor degree from the Louis D. Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville in 1982, maintains professional memberships and has held offices in several regional and national organizations. She formed Diana L. Skaggs + Associates in 1999, although she has devoted her practice to family law for more than twenty seven years.
Though the firm focuses on all aspects of divorce and family law, Skaggs concentrates her practice on clients undergoing complex financial divorce, including business valuation, trusts, tax, tracing of non-marital funds and integrated solutions for wealth management and preservation.
“While most matters are settled privately, my extensive trial experience and our staffing allows us to handle complex litigation where necessary or appropriate” says Skaggs.
U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
6th Circuit Court of Appeals
J.D., cum laude, University of Louisville Law School, 1982
Honors: Class Standing - top 10%
Dean's List, all semesters
B.A., English, University of Louisville, 1974
Professional Associations & Memberships
Diplomate, American College of Family Trial Lawyers, 2011- present
• Kentucky Chapter, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, President January, 2007- January,2009, President-Elect 2005-2007, Vice-President 1999-2001
• American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 1996 - present, Kentucky Delegate to National Board of Governors, 2003-2004 and 2009-2012
• Certified Arbitrator, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
• Louisville Bar Association, 1982 - present, Board of Directors, 1984; Family Law Section
• Kentucky Bar Association, 1982 - present, Family Law Section
• Kentucky Supreme Court Civil Rules Committee, 1988 - 2007
• American Bar Association, Family Law Section
• Twelfth Circuit Bar Association ( Oldham, Henry, Trimble Counties)
• Kentucky Justice Association, Domestic Law Section, 2006-2008
• International Child Abduction Attorney Network, Center for Missing and Exploited Children
• Kentucky Supreme Court Civil Rules Committee, 1988-2007
Honors and Awards
2006 Recipient of Judge Richard A. Revell Family Law Award, Louisville Bar Association, for being in the forefront of new developments in the practice of family law, dedication to families and children through work both inside and outside of the courtroom, innovation in family law and dedication to public service.
A.V. rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Selected for inclusion in 2008-present Best Lawyers in America, in the field of family law. (Copyright 2012 Woodward/White, Inc. of Aiken, S.C.)
Named by 2007-present Super Lawyers as being among the top 5% of family lawyers and one of the top 25 women lawyers in Kentucky across all fields of practice.