1. Courts should follow bail guidelines. State v Steele 430 N.J. Super. 24 (App. Div. 2013)
On leave granted, the court modified the $200,000 bail, of which $150,000 must be cash, set by the trial court on two indictments…more
1. New law finally establishes a Conditional Dismissal Program in Municipal Court. Ken Vercammen testified in favor of the passage before the Assembly Judiciary Committee.
Governor Chris Christie on September 9 signed into…more
Handling Drug DWI and Serious Motor Vehicle Cases in Municipal Court seminar…more
1. Termination of Child Support after High School Graduation and Upon Emancipation.
Child support is usually paid through a wage withholding garnishment at the parent's job. Child support orders and wage withholding continue…more
1. US Supreme Court Requires Warrant Before Taking of Blood in DWI Missouri v McNeely 133 S. Ct. 1552 (2013).
Respondent McNeely was stopped by a Missouri police officer for speeding and crossing the centerline. After declining…more
Why choose an Elder Law Attorney? By Tom Begley, Jr.
Rather than being defined by technical and legal distinctions, Elder Law is defined by the clients to be served. In other words, the attorney who practices Elder Law works…more
1. Recent cases: Decision on defense attorney informing criminals of deportation not retroactive State v Brewster 429 NJ Super. 387 (App. Div. 2013)
This PCR appeal addressed Padilla v. Kentucky, 559 U.S. ___, 130 S. Ct. 1473,…more
Court cannot consider Sup Mt testimony unless agreed by defendant. State v Gibson __ NJ Super. __ (App. Div. 2013) A-5163-10T2
The court held that in a driving-under-the-influence prosecution, N.J.S.A. 39:4-50,…more
New Case: Later Discovery by Police of Parole Warrant does not Purge Taint of Unlawful Detention. State v. Shaw __ NJ __ (A-48-11) 12-13-12
The police did not have a reasonable, articulable…more
No automatic right for DWI defendant to inspect inside of police station State v Carrero 428 NJ Super. 419 (App. Div. 2012) State v Baluski A-3232-11T3/ A-4319-11T3 (CONSOLIDATED)
The court reviewed discovery orders…more
2. NJ Senate proposed Bill 2427
NJ Senate proposed Bill 2427 would permit a restricted license for persons suspended for DWI to be able to drive to work. Ken Vercammen testified in favor of the "Restricted Driver's license"…more
1. A3598 Bill proposes a Conditional Dismissal Program in Municipal Court. I testified in favor of the passage before the Assembly Judiciary Committee in Trenton.
2. Ken Vercammen has been reappointed…more
1. 2013 update Wills and Estate Planning Seminar Materials
1. Federal Estate Tax exemption is now permanently increased so no tax for Estates under $5,250,000, and will be adjusted annually for inflation. However, New Jersey…more
Defendant's silence at dwi stop cant be used against him at trial State v. Stas (A-14-11; 068060) 9-12-12
The use of defendant's silence as substantive evidence of his guilt and for the purpose of assessing his…more
E411 Gifts to Friends, Neighbors and Clients: Recent Case- Confession of Juvenile Admissible after Father Voluntarily Left the Room…more
This profile may constitute attorney advertising. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Any correspondence with this profile holder does not constitute a client/attorney relationship. Neither the content on this profile nor transmissions between you and the profile holder through this profile are intended to provide legal or other advice or to create an attorney-client relationship.