Law Offices of Richard D. Farkas
Founded in 1981, the Law Offices of Richard D. Farkas, based in Sherman Oaks, California, is engaged in general civil, commercial and corporate litigation in all California State & Federal Courts, business planning, insurance and computer law. The firm has been actively involved in complex, multi-party business litigation, civil appeals (State & Federal), wrongful termination, business organization and maintenance, and commercial and corporate transactions. The firm represents private and publicly-traded corporations and trusts, as well as individuals, throughout the United States, and in Australia, Canada, Europe, Mexico, Palau, Abu Dhabi, and South Korea.
Mr. Farkas, emphasizing civil business litigation, has engaged in oil and gas exploration, real estate investment and development, and a company which owns and operates a seat on the Chicago Board of Options Exchange. He has been a director and consultant to many public and private corporations, in telecommunications, semiconductors, real estate, banking, musical recordings, motion pictures, apparel, manufacturing and distribution.
Mr. Farkas has been a computer programmer and consultant since 1973, and continues with technology and computer issues in his law practice, with clients in the computer software and hardware industries. Mr. Farkas has also served as a mediator and as Judge Pro Tem in the Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and Culver City Courts.
In 1981, he formed the Law Offices of Richard D. Farkas, now based in the Sherman Oaks area of Los Angeles, California, at Ventura and Sepulveda Boulevards. This practice is engaged in general civil, commercial and corporate litigation in all California State and Federal Courts, business planning, and insurance. The firm is actively involved in complex, multi-party business litigation, appeals, as well as wrongful termination defense, business organization and commercial transactions.
Practice Areas, Representative Clients:
• INDIVIDUALS: Contracting parties; Business formation, maintenance; Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, Corporations (private and public); Investors; Litigants; all Calif. State and Federal Courts; Family law, marital agreements, dissolutions; Wills, trusts, estates
• GENERAL BUSINESS: Negotiation, drafting of partnership agreements, formation, maintenance of limited liability companies, corporations; Contracts, leases; Employment, non-competition contracts, litigation; unfair business practice, Real estate; Retail stores, centers; Food & beverage manufacturers, distributors
• LITIGATION: Litigation, State and Federal Courts; appeals before State, Federal Appellate Courts; California, U.S. Supreme Court
INDUSTRIES: PUBLIC, PRIVATE CORPORATIONS
• BANKING: Banks, finance, mortgage companies; Financial, banking assistance, litigation
• COMPUTERS, TECHNOLOGY: Public integrated circuit designers, manufacturers; Satellite communications; Computer programmers, Software, hardware designers, distributors, manufacturers; Solar, thermal energy; Oil & gas
• MUSIC, ENTERTAINMENT: Artists, Grammy winners, Rock & Roll Hall of Famers; National, international record companies; Financing; Composers, publishers; Motion picture, stage, television actors; Producers; Directors; Choreographers
• INSURANCE: Insurance defense, claims; Bad faith litigation, negotiation, appeals
• REAL ESTATE: Developers; builders; Contractors; real estate consulting firms, lenders, financing companies; Landlords, tenants, brokers
• RESTAURANTS, FOOD & BEVERAGE: Restaurant formation, maintenance; Private placements; Compliance, leases, contracting; International food & beverage manufacturers, distributors
• SPORTS: Baseball, Football, Boxing: Natl., Amer. league contestants, contracts, products; Super Bowl ringholders; Hall of Fame managers, trainers, promoters, agents; Gymnastics, Swimming
• CLOTHING, APPAREL: Clothing and bag designers; Apparel manufacturers; Retailer
Mr. Farkas received his Juris Doctor degree in June, 1979 from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), where he was the Book Review and Casenotes Editor of the UCLA-Alaska Law Review. He was a May, 1976 graduate of the University of Colorado (Bachelor of Science degree, with honors, in Journalism), having been the top-ranking graduate of his school and nominee for Outstanding Graduate of 1976. Mr. Farkas was awarded membership to Kappa Tau Alpha, the honorary scholastic society for the ten highest-ranking journalism graduates, and to Sigma Delta Chi, the Society of Professional Journalists. He was been a member of the Los Angeles County Bar and American Bar Associations.
During law school, Mr. Farkas was a law clerk for Miller, Glassman and Browning, Inc. in Beverly Hills, California, and then served as a legal extern for the Los Angeles County Counsel, conducting trials on behalf of the County.
Upon completion of UCLA law school, in 1979, Mr. Farkas became an associate of the Westwood, California firm of Grayson, Gross, Friedman, Phillips, Rasch, Block & Colton, emphasizing general civil and commercial litigation, and preparation of appellate briefs for various California and Federal courts and the United States Supreme Court.