David J. Scriven-Young is a senior litigation associate primarily in the Environmental Law, Construction, and Commercial Litigation Groups at Peckar & Abramson. Mr. Scriven-Young’s environmental expertise includes handling Superfund cases and wrongful death, personal injury, and property damage claims arising out of underground storage tank leaks, spills of chlorinated solvents, and other chemical releases. He has represented clients before the Environmental Protection Agency and state environmental agencies in enforcement matters. He has counseled clients on compliance and/or permitting issues under the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, and Toxic Substances Control Act. He has also helped clients take advantage of state and federal audit policies. In addition, he has advised clients on mergers and acquisitions concerning environmental liability and permitting issues, and conducted due diligence and prepared representations and warranties for corporate transactions.
Mr. Scriven-Young’s construction expertise includes prosecution and defense of mechanic’s lien actions, payment and performance bond claims, breach-of-contract actions, breach-of-warranty claims, delay and inefficiency claims, contract terminations, and other matters. He also has significant expertise defending clients against actions involving personal injuries at job sites.
Mr. Scriven-Young regularly speaks and publishes on environmental and construction law issues. He is the author of the Illinois Environmental Law blog (http://illinoisenvironmentallaw.com), which provides news and updates on cases, laws, and regulations involving Illinois environmental issues. In 2011, the LexisNexis Environmental Law & Climate Change Community named his blog one of the “Top 50 Blogs for Environmental Law & Climate Change.”
Mr. Scriven-Young holds several leadership positions in bar associations and the community. He is presently a Member of the Chicago Bar Association (CBA) Board of Managers and Chair of the CBA Environmental Law Committee. He is an officer of the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (ABA YLD), serving as Assembly Speaker. He serves on the ABA Standing Committee on Technology and Information Systems. Mr. Scriven-Young also is a Member of the Board of Directors of the Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI).
Mr. Scriven-Young has been the recipient of several awards, including being named by Illinois Super Lawyers as a Super Lawyer in 2014 and as a Rising Star in 2011, 2012, and 2013. No more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state of Illinois are named to the Rising Star list. He was also selected by DePaul University to a list of 14 successful alumni under 40 years old and profiled in DePaul Magazine. Mr. Scriven-Young’s bar association awards include the David C. Hilliard Award for Outstanding Committee Service from the CBA Young Lawyers Section and a Star of the Quarter Award from the ABA YLD. He has been listed in Who’s Who in America and Who’s Who in American Law. Mr. Scriven-Young was a Fellow of the Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI) and formerly served on the PILI Alumni Network Leadership Council.
Mr. Scriven-Young is admitted to practice in the State of Illinois. He received his bachelor of arts, magna cum laude, from Marquette University and his law degree, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, from DePaul University College of Law, where he was on law review and was an extern for the Honorable Blanche M. Manning, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
State of Illinois; United States District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern District of Wisconsin, and Northern District of Indiana
DePaul University College of Law
Professional Associations & Memberships
• American Bar Association (Young Lawyers Division (YLD) Assembly Speaker; YLD Council, member; YLD Resolutions Team, chair; YLD Elections Committee, chair; past YLD Assembly Clerk, YLD Credentials Board, past chair; past YLD Committee and Liaison Director: Public and Special Interest Entities; YLD Truth in Law School Education Committee, past chair;YLD Touch 10,000 Program, past Illinois state coordinator and ambassador; past YLD Committee and Liaison Director: Membership Entities; , past YLD liaison to Task Force on Policy and Coordination, ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (formerly known as the ABA Standing Committee on Environmental Law); YLD Environmental Law Committee, past chair; YLD Law Practice Management Committee, past chair; Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee, past vice chair; TIPS Public Relations Committee, past member; Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (SEER) Environmental Litigation and Toxic Tort Committee, past social media vice chair; , Section of Litigation Young Advocates Committee Networking & Rainmaking Subcommittee , past co-chair).
• Chicago Bar Association Board of Managers, Member; Environmental Law Committee, chair and past legislative liaison; Young Lawyers Section (YLS), past director; YLS Executive Council, past member; YLS Environmental Law Committee, past co-chair)
• DePaul University (Environmental Law Society, past alumni advisor and President’s Club Recent Graduate Committee, past chair).
• Fenwick Bar Association (vice president and past secretary).
• Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI) (Board of Directors, member; Alumni Network Leadership Council, past Program Planning Team Leader; and past Fellow)
Honors and Awards
Illinois Super Lawyer (2014)
Rising Star, Illinois Super Lawyers Magazine (2011, 2012, & 2013)
“14 Under 40” Successful Alumni List, DePaul Magazine
Who’s Who in America
Who’s Who in American Law
David C. Hilliard Award for Outstanding Committee Service, The Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section
Star of the Quarter, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
Great Lakes Stewardship Award for Advocate of the Year, Alliance for the Great Lakes
Member, DePaul Law Review
Law Clerk Externship, The Honorable Blanche M. Manning, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
CALI Awards for Excellence in Civil Procedure, Evidence, Legal Writing I & II, Legislative Process, and State Constitutional Law