Our commitment to excellence has driven our growth and reputation over our initial 80 years of practice. With more than 30 attorneys in two offices in Ohio, and attorneys licensed to practice in Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, and New York, we serve clients who expect and receive superior legal services.
The Firm, rich in history, tradition, and excellence, is the culmination of two law firms with strong and complementary practices.
The law firm that came to be Wickens, Herzer & Panza was founded, in 1932, by William G. Wickens. His son, William E. Wickens, joined the practice in the 1960’s. Arriving in 1970, David Herzer took the reins from William E. Wickens, who left to pursue a career in Washington D.C. In 1973, Richard Panza joined the Firm, thus creating Wickens, Herzer & Panza.
Similarly, the law firm of Cook & Batista was founded in 1938, when Dan K. Cook joined G.A. Resek in practice to form the law firm of Resek & Cook. Following the retirement of Mr. Resek, Daniel P. Batista joined Dan K. Cook’s practice in 1962 to form the law firm of Cook & Batista.
Wickens, Herzer & Panza and Cook & Batista merged to combine knowledge, experience, and expertise and to deliver unparalleled legal services to our clients.
On January 1, 2000, Wickens, Herzer & Panza merged with the law firm of Cook & Batista, and established Wickens, Herzer, Panza, Cook & Batista Co. On January 1, 2007, Wickens, Herzer, Panza, Cook & Batista Co. expanded the practice by establishing a second office in Sandusky, Ohio. These combinations of talent have increased the depth and breadth of the Firm’s reach in order to meet the needs of our clients. Wickens, Herzer, Panza, Cook & Batista Co. is currently the largest law firm in the counties of Lorain and Erie.
Wickens, Herzer, Panza, Cook & Batista Co., specializes in Corporations, Limited Liability Companies & Partnerships; Business Organizations & Tax, Family & Business Succession Planning; Employee Benefits & ERISA, including Pension, Profit Sharing, and 401(k); Commercial & Industrial Real Estate & Construction; Municipal & Public Law; all aspects of Civil Litigation, including Bankruptcy, Creditors’ Rights & Insolvency Litigation; Labor & Employment Relations; Personal Injury; Environmental; Securities; Workers’ Compensation, both Group Rating and Self-Insured; and Probate & Estate Planning. The Firm has offices in Avon, Ohio, and Sandusky, Ohio.
WHP… Solutions for Today’s Legal Challenges.
Professional Associations & Memberships
• American Bar Association
• Ohio State Bar Association
• Lorain County Bar Association
• Erie County Bar Association
• Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
• Florida Bar Association
• New York Bar Association
• Kentucky Bar Association
• West Shore Bar Association
• Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
• American College of Tax Counsel
• American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
• National CPA Financial Literacy Commission
• American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
• American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries
• Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants
• North Coast Estate Planning Council
• Estate Planning Council of Cleveland
• The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland
• Council of Smaller Enterprises (COSE)
• Small Business Council of America
• North Coast Building Industry Association
• National Association of Women in Construction
Honors and Awards
WHP and its attorneys have been recognized by peers and media in the legal industry:
• WHP holds an AV rating through Martindale-Hubbell
• Eleven WHP attorneys hold an AV Preeminent peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell
• Multiple WHP attorneys have been recognized as Ohio Super Lawyers from 2006 to 2017
• Four WHP attorneys will be included in The Best Lawyers in America© for 2017 in Commercial Litigation, Employee Benefits/ERISA, and Trusts and Estates
• Four WHP attorneys were named in The Best Lawyers in America© for 2016
• One Attorney is a Fellow of the American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
• One Attorney is a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel
• One Attorney is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
• Two Attorneys are Fellows of the Ohio State Bar Association
• Two WHP attorneys are recognized by the Ohio State Bar Association as Certified Specialists in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law