BuckleySandler attorneys are among the leading financial services law practitioners in the country and have a track record of successfully assisting clients in litigation, enforcement, transactional and public policy matters. In the past two decades, our attorneys have acted as lead defense counsel in more than 100 high-stakes class actions, represented our clients in a multitude of state and federal enforcement proceedings, and had a hand in commenting on or drafting a majority of the significant laws that impact the financial services industry.
Our attorneys have decades of experience representing banks, mortgage lenders and servicers, credit card companies, insurance companies, securities firms and other financial services companies in matters affecting their industry. Currently, BuckleySandler represents the top 10 largest banks in the United States, nine of the top 10 mortgage lending companies, nine of the top 10 servicing companies, the top 10 credit card issuers, as well as many community banks and non-bank financial services companies.
With more than 160 lawyers in Washington, DC, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and London focused on financial services law, BuckleySandler helps clients turn legal, regulatory, and legislative challenges into business opportunities. Operating in the United Kingdom as BuckleySandler International LLP, a limited liability partnership incorporated in England and Wales, for the practice of US law, our clients turn to us for:
- Litigation: Our practice includes the defense of leading banks, financial services firms, and other companies and their executives in class actions, complex civil litigation, and arbitration proceedings
- Government Enforcement: We represent financial services companies before the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, federal bank regulators, state attorneys general and other federal and state regulatory agencies.
- Regulatory: BuckleySandler often advises banks and other financial institutions in connection with regulatory examinations and supervision matters initiated by state and federal regulatory agencies.
- White Collar Defense: Corporations and their officers and directors turn to our leading White Collar Defense attorneys when faced with grand jury investigations and other white collar criminal matters.
- Licensing and Chartering: BuckleySandler assists clients with obtaining new lending, servicing, collection, insurance or money transmitter licenses, or obtaining “change of control” approvals for existing licensees, and assists banks and investment groups in analyzing charter alternatives and obtaining new charters.
- Counseling and Compliance: We have developed and implemented comprehensive compliance management programs, including the written policies, training and ongoing monitoring needed to ensure compliance with fair lending laws, federal and state consumer protection statutes, consumer financial privacy and information security regulations; as well as the anti-money laundering requirements of the USA Patriot Act, the Bank Secrecy Act, and OFAC.
- Transactional: A complete understanding of the unique legal, operational and financial risks surrounding the acquisition, sale, or financing of assets, businesses and servicing rights in the financial services industry is why clients turn to BuckleySandler for representation in transactional matters.
- Public Policy: We assist our clients in analyzing and responding to the full range of bank legislative and regulatory initiatives, including those related to the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, the Troubled Asset Relief Program (“TARP”), the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008, and other related programs.
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Association of Residential Mortgage Regulators
American Bankers Association
American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers
American Financial Services Association
California Bankers Association
California Mortgage Bankers Association
Conference on Consumer Finance Law
Consumer Bankers Association
Maryland Bankers Association
Massachusetts Bankers Association
Mortgage Bankers Association
National Hispanic Bar Association
National LGBT Bar Association
National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association (NRMLA)
New York Bankers Association
Real Estate Services Providers Council, Inc. (RESPRO)
Risk Management Association
Virginia Bankers Association
Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
Western Independent Bankers
Women in Housing and Finance
Youth Leadership Foundation (YLF)
Honors and Awards
Super Lawyers 2015 | 23 lawyers across nine practice areas
BTI Client Service A-Team 2015
BTI Honor Roll for Premium Worthy Firms 2015
U.S. News - Best Law Firms 2015|National Tier 1: Financial Services Regulation Law & Litigation - Banking & Finance; National Tier 2: Banking & Finance Law, Commercial Litigation and Litigation - Securities
Best Lawyers 2015 | Eight partners listed in multiple categories
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2014 | Band 1: Financial Services Regulation: Consumer Finance (Compliance & Litigation); Band 2: Financial Services Banking (Enforcement & Investigations)
Law360 2014 Practice Group of the Year - Consumer Protection
Super Lawyers 2014 | 22 lawyers listed across 10 practice areas
U.S. News - Best Law Firms 2014 | National Tier 1: Litigation - Banking & Finance; National Tier 2: Commercial Litigation, Financial Services Regulation Law; National Tier 3: Banking & Finance Law, Litigation - Securities
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2013 | Band 1: Financial Services Regulation: Consumer Finance (Compliance & Litigation); Band 2: Financial Services Regulation: Banking (Enforcement & Investigations)
Best Lawyers 2013
Super Lawyers 2013 | Eight lawyers across nine practice areas
Named to BTI Brand Elite 2013
Legal 500: Data Protection and Privacy 2012
Legal 500 in White Collar Defense 2012
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business: 2012
Best Lawyers 2012
Super Lawyers 2012
National Law Journal, "Midsize Hot List" (July 2011)
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2011
Super Lawyers 2011
Washington, DC’s "Best Lawyers 2011
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2010
National Law Journal, "Midsize Hot List" (July 2010)
National Law Journal, "Champions and Visionaries" (June 2010)
Washington, DC’s Best Lawyers 2010
Super Lawyers 2010
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2009
Super Lawyers 2009
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2008
BTI Power Rankings 2006
BTI Client Service All-Stars 2005
Distinguished Service Award: American Association of Residential Mortgage Regulators