Christopher Cobb is a co-founder and shareholder of Jimerson & Cobb and practices in the areas of construction litigation, business litigation and commercial collections. Mr. Cobb is recognized as an expert in construction law by The Florida Bar as a Board Certified Construction Attorney. He is AV® rated by Martindale Hubbell, recognized by his peers as having the highest level of ethical standards and professional ability. Mr. Cobb has been selected by Florida Super Lawyer Magazine as a Rising Star in Construction Law for 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. He was honored by the Jacksonville Business Journal by being selected as one of Jacksonville’s “Top 40 Under 40” for 2010. Additionally in 2010, Mr. Cobb was name by 904 Magazine as one of Jacksonville’s Top Attorneys. Mr. Cobb has authored numerous articles on Construction Law, including a Florida Bar Journal article on venue in construction disputes, and lectures extensively on Construction Liens and Construction Litigation to local trade associations, universities and continuing legal education seminars.
In 2012, Mr. Cobb was appointed by The Honorable Rick Scott, Governor of the State of Florida, to the Construction Industry Licensing Board. The CILB is a division of the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation and is responsible for licensing and regulating the construction industry in Florida. The CILB considers applications for licensure, reviews disciplinary cases, renders declaratory decisions on industry statutes, and conducts informal hearings relating to licensure and discipline.
He has extensive experience litigating a variety of construction lien, construction defect and business disputes for developers, contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers, suppliers, sureties, design professionals, lenders, and insurance companies. He has also litigated large condominium defect cases and condominium assessment foreclosure actions. His construction lien and defect litigation involves issues with, among other things, roof design, building envelope, water intrusion, window installation, stucco failures, construction means and methods, mechanical equipment, structural steel and steel fabrication, framing and drywall, concrete, design defects and construction standards of care. In his business litigation practice, Mr. Cobb has represented local and national business in breach of contract, fiduciary relationship, injunctions, fraud and other related business torts disputes.
Originally from Pompano Beach, Florida, Mr. Cobb moved to Jacksonville in 1993 to obtain his undergraduate degree from the University of North Florida, where he studied Literature. He then graduated with his Juris Doctorate degree from Florida Coastal School of Law where he served on the school’s moot court team and as a staff editor for the law review. During law school, Mr. Cobb was signed as a non-drafted free agent for the Montreal Expos International Baseball Organization and took a leave of absence to from law school to play professional baseball. Mr. Cobb resides in Lakewood/San Marco area with his lovely wife, Joy, and their two daughters, Charlotte and Madison. In his free time, he enjoys inshore fishing, boating, kayaking, golf and spending time with his family.
The Florida Bar
The Jacksonville Bar Association
The Jacksonville Bankruptcy Bar Association
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
Florida Coastal School of Law, J.D.
Law Review, Moot Court, Student Commencement Speaker
Honor Court Prosecutor, Dean’s List, Legal Writing Teaching Assistant
University of North Florida, College of Arts and Sciences, B.A – Literature
Professional Associations & Memberships
Mr. Cobb is a member of and has served or serves on various committees, boards of directors and holds officer positions in many professional and trade organizations, including but not limited to:
• Construction Industry Licensing Board Member (Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation – Application Review & Continuing Education Committee Chair)
• The Florida Bar (Real Property, Probate and Trust/Construction Law Committee)
• Community Associations Institute (Membership Committee)
• American Bar Association (Forum on the Construction Industry – Member Division 7)
• Jacksonville Bar Association (Construction Law Committee Chair 2012-2013)
• The Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce
• Northeast Florida Builders Association – Remodelers Council
• University of North Florida – Alumni Golf Committee
• Florida Coastal School of Law – Alumni Board Member
• Chester Bedell Inns of Court (2005-2006)
• University of North Florida – Pre- law Board of Advisors
Mr. Cobb has also served as a regular lecturer at The University of North Florida, Florida Coastal School of Law, and the University of Florida Rinker School of Construction on topics relative to the practice of construction law. Mr. Cobb periodically serves as a guest speaker at various construction, real estate and business industry conferences or trade association meetings.
Honors and Awards
• Board Certified, Construction Law
• Former Professional Baseball Player with The Montreal Expos International Baseball Organization
• AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
• 2010 Jacksonville Business Journal “40 under 40”
• 904 Magazine and Jacksonville Magazine “Top Attorneys in Jacksonville” for 2010, 2012 and 2013
• Super Lawyers Rising Star in Construction Law 2009-2014
(Top 2.5% of attorneys under age 40 awarded with honor based upon peer review)
• Phyllis Stansell Ethics and Professionalism Award