Harney Westwood & Riegels is a leading international offshore law firm. We provide the world’s top law firms, financial institutions and corporations with legal services relating to British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cyprus and Anguilla law. Key practice areas include corporate & commercial, banking & finance, investment funds, litigation & insolvency and private client.
At Harneys we understand the commercial environment in which our clients operate, and the firm has a long-standing reputation for providing fast, accurate and commercially astute advice. Our core philosophy is a commitment to absolute quality in the work we deliver, and unparalleled responsiveness and client service. As a result, we are consistently ranked as one of the world's top offshore legal practices by independent ranking directories.
Recent experience includes:
Banking & Finance
- Providing Cayman advice to Brazil-based mining company Vale on a US$1 billion offering of notes by its wholly-owned Cayman Islands' subsidiary.
- Advising Reynolds Group Holdings in connection with the BVI elements of its acquisition of Pactiv Corporation, a transaction worth US$4.6 billion.
- Advising EBRD in a EURO58 million debt and equity finance transaction involving the Cyprus subsidiaries of a Ukraine manufacturing firm.
- Providing Cayman advice to SAB Miller plc on its subsidiary Bavaria S.A.'s listing of US$1.325 billion in corporate bond securities on the Cayman Islands Stock Exchange.
- Acting as BVI counsel in relation to a US$613 million note issue to enable the shareholders of a dairy business based in Russia and Eastern Europe to monetise a put and call option granted by/to Danone in relation to the shares in the intermediate holding company.
Corporate & Commercial
- Representing an affiliate of Virgin Galactic regarding BVI law aspects of the strategic partnership announced by Abu Dhabi's Aabar Investments and Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group pertaining to Aabar's US$280 million equity stake in Virgin Galactic.
- Acting as Cayman Islands counsel for Web.com on its US$135 million purchase of Register.com.
- Advising Amber Petroleum Ltd on the first-ever scheme of arrangement under Section 179A of the BVI Business Companies Act.
- Advising Flex LNG Ltd. in connection with its IPO on the Oslo Stock Exchange.
- Advising Tiger Global Management on BVI law aspects of its sale of Maktoob.com to Yahoo!
- Providing Cayman law advice to private equity firm Crescent Point Group in respect of the US$240 million IPO of a Malaysian education company.
Investment Funds & Regulatory
- Acting as Cayman Islands counsel to Spring Capital Asia, a high profile China-focussed private equity fund with US$250 million in investor commitments.
- Advising Cultinvest Asset Management on the establishment of the first-ever wine fund from Brazil.
- Advising Equity Trust and the TMF Group on BVI regulatory matters in relation to the acquisition by private equity house Doughty Hanson of Equity Trust in 2011.
- Acting as Cayman Islands counsel to Blue Sea International, the administrator of Keydata Offshore Fund, which had over GBP3 billion in AUM prior to its collapse in June 2009.
Litigation & Insolvency
- Acting for a major bank seeking to recover over US$200 million in the BVI as part of a significant case involving litigation in the BVI, US and the Far East and leading to one of the largest liquidations in the BVI with an assets tracing excercise in China, the US and the BVI.
- Acting for the Kingate funds advising on the fallout of the arrest of Bernard Madoff and also acting for investors in the Fairfield liquidations in the BVI and for the liquidation of two Rye feeder funds in the Cayman Islands.
- Acting in two of the largest trusts matters to be brought before the BVI court.
- Acting in connection with the US$1.5 billion fraud allegedly perpetrated against BTA JSC Bank of Kazakstan, now before the UK Commercial Court.