Dressman Benzinger LaVelle psc (DBL Law) is a full-service law firm of 39 attorneys and 51 staff, with offices located in Cincinnati, Ohio and Crestview Hills, Kentucky. DBL attorneys represent private individuals and companies in many industries and areas of law including: Administrative, Banking & Commercial, Business Organizations and Taxation, Civil Litigation, Construction, Employment and Labor, Estate Planning and Probate, Healthcare, Real Estate, Technology and Workers' Compensation.
Joseph A. Cleves, Jr. practices primarily in the areas of construction and real estate. He has extensive experience in developing and revising contract documents and procedures for construction and real estate clients. He has negotiated and closed on numerous construction contracts, joint venture agreements and subcontracts. He also has extensive experience in lean construction, a practice designed to maximize value and minimize waste throughout the construction process. He heads the law firm’s construction practice group.
His construction clients include a design-builder based in Dayton, Ohio, which has a national presence; major medical centers in Ohio and Kentucky; the Kentucky branch of a significant religious organization with more than fifty churches and schools; a large and very active home builder’s organization; and other contractors and subcontractors.
He is currently involved with or has completed the following:
• Organizing and educating the project team and establishing the contracts for implementation of lean project delivery for a $100 million dollar expansion of a major Lexington, Kentucky hospital.
• Contract negotiations with a construction manager for a $50 million dollar expansion by a Greater Cincinnati medical center,
• A master construction manager agreement between a Greater Cincinnati medical center and a large construction company for continuing services on core hospital projects.
• Standard form construction contact libraries with extensive customized revisions of numerous project delivery systems for two major medical centers in Greater Cincinnati, a major regional design-builder, and the Kentucky branch of a significant religious organization.
• Contracts for a $48 million dollar residential village at a major state university in Ohio for a design-builder, including a joint venture with a residential builder.
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Bar Association
Ohio Bar Association
Kentucky Bar Association
Cincinnati Bar Association
Northern Kentucky Bar Association
Lean Construction Institute (LCI)
Steering Committee of Division Two on Construction Documents of the ABA’s Construction Law Forum (2005-2010)
Co-Chair of ConsensusDOCS Committee that is updating CD300 Standard Tri-Party Agreement for Integrated Project Delivery