The Barone Defense Firm includes four highly skilled lawyers devoted to drunk driving defense exclusively; no other cases are accepted. Because of this the Barone Defense Firm has become synonymous with DUI defense,including crimes identified by accronyms such as: DUI DWI OWI DUIL OUIL and DUID. Patrick T. Barone, Esq., is the principal and founding member of the Barone Defense Firm, with headquarters in Birmingham, Michigan.
Mr. Barone is the author of two books on DUI-related topics, including Defending Drinking Drivers (James Publishing), a well-known and highly respected multivolume national legal treatise, and Michigan DUI Law, A Citizen’s Guide. Additionally, he is the executive editor of The DWI Journal: Law & Science, an internationally circulated legal periodical that for more than two decades has been dedicated to improving the skill, knowledge and success rate of defense attorneys in drunken driving cases.
Mr. Barone is also an adjunct professor at the Thomas M. Cooley Law School where he teaches a course entitled "Drunk Driving Law and Practice." This is believed to the only dedicated drunk driving course offered at any law school anywhere in the United States. The course combines criminal law, constitutional law, and forensic science into one course, and course topics include the science involved in drunk driving, such as alcohol metabolism, breath and blood testing, and field sobriety testing. Students also have the opportunity to apply what they learn in a mock trial at the end of the semester.
Additionally, Mr. Barone has taken two police training courses in DUI arrests and is certified as both a participant and an instructor for standardized sobriety field testing. The manufacturer of the DataMaster also certifies him as competent to operate and perform calibration checks and essential diagnostic verifications on this breath testing machine.
Mr. Barone has been trying and winning drunken driving cases for nearly 20 years, and in 2007 he was named as a Michigan SuperLawyer. He is a frequent lecturer, and he has appeared on television and radio as a drunk driving defense expert.
Professional Associations & Memberships
• Michigan State Bar Association, 1991.
• Illinois State Bar Association, 1992.
• Oakland County Bar Association.
• State Bar of Michigan, Criminal Law Section.
• Association of Trial Lawyers of America.
• National College of DUI Defense (sustaining member).
• National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
• TEC – Detroit.
• Circuit Court Committee (by special appointment), Oakland County Bar Association, 1991 – 1999.
• Prior Roster Attorney, Michigan Appellate Assigned Counsel System.
• Prior Mentor, Oakland County Circuit Court Criminal Assigned Counsel System.
Honors and Awards
• Best Lawyers in America 2009
• Best Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2008
• Michigan SuperLawyer, 2007, 2008
• Award of Excellence by Dui-Help.com, 2006.
• Expert Witness - Police Officers’ Field Sobriety Testing Protocols, 34th District Court before Judge Oakely (2006).
• Certified by NPAS, the manufacturer of the DataMaster, as competent to operate and perform calibration checks and essential diagnostic verifications on Michigan’s breath testing machine; Jan. 2005.
• Certified instructor and practitioner of the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests in accordance with the standards set forth by the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA); Jan. 2005 and March 2004, respectively.