The Los Angeles Labor & Employment Law Group at Proskauer is comprised of approximately 15 lawyers representing and advising employers in the full spectrum of labor and employment law. They represent employers and management in such diverse matters as preventive counseling, wrongful termination, employee discipline, discrimination and harassment, wage and hour matters, trade secret protection and litigation, collective bargaining, grievance arbitrations, union organizing campaigns and strikes. They practice before a variety of forums including state and federal courts, the National Labor Relations Board and a wide range of state and federal agencies.
From the day the Los Angeles office opened in 1979, its Labor & Employment Law Group has distinguished itself in a variety of areas including successful representation of the employer in the landmark California Supreme Court wrongful discharge case of Foley v. Interactive Data. Since then, Proskauer Los Angeles labor lawyers have been involved in a large number of precedent-setting litigations, including Rojo v. Kliger, Gantt v. Sentry Insurance Co., Jennings v. Marralle and Livadas v. Aubrey.
The Labor & Employment Law Group represents employers in a wide variety of industries, including financial services, airlines, manufacturing, motion picture and television production, broadcasting, professional services, automobile, tele-communications, insurance, food production, restaurants, health care and new media.
Recent matters handled by the group include:
* representation of a major television network in all aspects of a lengthy labor dispute, including negotiations with a union representing more than 1800 of its employees, successful prosecution and defense of unfair labor practice charges, and obtaining a state court injunction to prevent picket line misconduct
* representation of a major talent agency in an entertainment industry-wide age discrimination class action
* successful defense of a claim for unpaid commissions resulting in a six-figure award of attorney fees payable to our client
* advising major studios, networks and production companies regarding strategies for and ramifications of impending industry strikes
* nationwide representation of a major insurance company in all aspects of employment litigation
* successful defense of an international aerospace company in a jury trial for a claim of age discrimination and breach of contract brought by a former director
* labor relations and employment advice to several major financial services companies
* negotiation of collective bargaining agreements for the production of numerous motion pictures and television programs
We collaborate on a daily basis with our colleagues in the firm’s New York, Washington, D.C., Boston, Boca Raton, New Jersey and Paris offices, bringing to bear the very substantial resources of the firm’s 50-year old labor and employment law practice.