Balough Law Offices, LLC, located in downtown Chicago, Illinois, focuses its practice on serving small and medium-sized businesses. We work with the owners of established businesses and start-ups to address their legal needs and protect their ideas and other business assets. Our services include determining the appropriate legal entity to conduct business and negotiating and preparing contracts. We help businesses protect their intellectual property through licensing agreements, non-disclosure agreements, trademark and copyright evaluation and registration, and establishing appropriate steps to protect their trade secrets. We work with our clients so that they can maximize their business growth and increase the value of their intellectual property.
Our attorneys maintain leadership positions with the American Bar Association’s Business Law Section’s Cyberspace Law committee. They have presented papers and have provided articles in numerous legal publications regarding cutting edge technologies such as bring your own devices, the potential that cars may be taken over and hacked by terrorists, privacy concerns related to smart meters, and the use of drones by businesses.
The following are some of our recent representations:
• Negotiated the purchase of a partner’s interest for a much lower price than our client anticipated
• Enjoined a large company from using our client’s trademark
• Obtained a settlement requiring an Internet poster to cease posting messages relating to our client
• Recovered a company’s source code and negotiated a new contract, increasing annual revenues tenfold
• Guided individuals in establishing new companies and developing client-specific operating agreements
• Saved a governmental client millions of dollars annually on its utility expenses
• Developed e-commerce contracts and policies for clients
• Negotiated manufacturing, distribution, and collaborative marketing agreements for companies to enhance their growth
Richard C. Balough has been providing counsel to clients for over 30 years. He has represented:
• Multi-national high technology companies
• Website design firms
• Individuals in defamation, privacy, and right of publicity cases
• Software development companies
• Internet service providers
• Marketing and advertising firms
• Photographic studios
• Start-up companies
• Telecommunication firms
• Municipalities and governmental agencies
• One of the largest electric energy users in the Chicago area
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Balough was assistant financial editor, news editor, and financial reporter for the Chicago Daily News and the Miami Herald. He received numerous awards as a reporter.
Cheryl Dancey Balough focuses her practice on helping clients protect their ideas, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets as they start new ventures or grow existing businesses. She has represented:
• Start-up business on the Internet and brick-and-mortar ventures
• Businesses seeking trademark or copyright protection and those accused of trademark or copyright infringement
• Organizations and individuals involved in contractual disputes
• Individuals accused of non-compete violations or trade secret theft by former employers
• Individuals buying out business partners and companies purchasing other businesses
• Individuals who have been defamed or accused of defamation
• National telecommunications firms
Ms. Balough has also represented property owner associations and municipalities in water rate and electric cases before the Illinois Commerce Commission.
Before becoming an attorney, Ms. Balough spent 20 years as a marketing executive. She understands the challenges facing businesses and their need to continually innovate without incurring excessive risks. She also applies her expertise in academia, serving as adjunct faculty in copyright law at Chicago-Kent College of Law and, previously, as senior faculty in communications and business planning at Keller Graduate School of Management.