Steven Clark has successfully represented clients throughout the State of Texas since 1980. Mr. Clark concentrates his practice on business and commercial litigation, construction, employment and labor law, products liability, and general civil litigation. He also advises business clients and has assisted them in the review and drafting of agreements, and acquisition and sale of assets. During his distinguished career, Mr. Clark has lectured and written on subjects such as choice of business entity considerations, trade secrets, non-competition agreements, partnerships, and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Martindale-Hubbell recognizes Mr. Clark as an AV® rated attorney, the highest such peer review rating available to any individual lawyer.
Mr. Clark is a member of the Business, Corporate and International practice group of the International Society of Primerus Law Firms, which includes the Labor & Employment and Commercial Law subgroups.
* Products Liability/Negligence: Defense of Canadian armored vehicle manufacturer against claims of design defect and negligence arising out of a rollover accident that resulted in death of a passenger.
* Business Litigation: Representing franchisee in lawsuit brought by an international restaurant chain after termination of the franchise agreement. Issues include alleged violations of the Lanham Act and 42 U.S.C. § 1981.
* Construction: Advisory counsel for Italian construction company on issues relating to the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge across the Trinity River Corridor in Dallas, Texas.
* Employment and Labor: Representing employees in litigation against the Dallas Independent School District (DISD) in case involving wrongful termination claims for whistle-blowing and other protected activities.
Digital Filing Systems v. Mims, (E.D. Tex. - May 2009) (Successfully defended client against copyright infringement claims; won counterclaim against plaintiff for $375,000.00 including attorneys’ fees).
Cooper v. Cochran, 288 S.W.3d 522 (Tex. App. - Dallas 2009, no pet.) (Granted requested forms of relief in complex proceeding to set aside trust and restore property in addition to $75,000.00 in attorney fees).
Walker v. Anderson, 232 S.W.3d 899 (Tex.App.-Dallas 2007, no pet.) ($150,000.00 award for fraudulent transfer of assets claim).
Flatrolled Steel, Inc. v. Jones, 2005 Tex. App. Lexis 4582 (Tex.App.-Dallas 2005, no pet.) (Successful defense of all claims; jury awarded counterclaim of approximately $60,000.00 for unpaid commissions and attorneys fees).
Lectures and Publications
* Contributing Editor: FMLA chapter, Texas Employment Law Manual, James Pub. 2003-2009.
* Co-Author and Speaker: Covenants Not to Compete, Lorman Ed. Service, August, 2002, 2003, 2007).
* Author and Speaker: Avoiding Personal Liability in Partnerships, LLCs and LLPs, and Ethical Issues Facing Attorneys Structuring LLCs and LLPs, Seminar on, Partnerships, LLCs and LLPs: Organization and Operation in Texas, Lorman Ed. Service, July 2004, July, Oct. 2005, July, 2006.
* Author and Speaker, Choice of Entity Considerations, Solo and Small Firm section, Dallas Bar Association, Apr. 2008.
* Author and Speaker: Employee Leaves of Absences, Sterling Ed. Service, May 2004
* Author and Speaker: Covenants Not to Compete, 41st Annual Intellectual Property Program, Institute for Law & Technology, Nov. 2003.
* Author and Speaker: Employment Law Update: FMLA, ADA & Worker's Compensation, Sterling Ed. Service, July 2002.
* Co-Author: Trade Secrets and Covenants Not to Compete, Employment Law Course, Spring, 1993.
* Contributing Editor, Digest of Commercial Law: Texas, 1985.
* U.S. Supreme Court.
* U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th and 11th Circuits.
* State Bar of Texas.
* Northern District Texas; Eastern District Texas; Western District Texas
University of Houston, J.D., 1977 (with honors).
University of Houston, B.A., 1974.
Professional Associations & Memberships
# Staff Attorney, U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, 1978-1980.
# Faculty Instructor, NITA Trial Skills Program, 2005.
# Order of the Barons (Law School Honor Society) (top 10%).
# Phi Alpha Delta; Pi Kappa Alpha.
# Fmr. President and Member, Dallas Trinity Rotary Club.
# Fmr. Board Member, Lake Highlands YMCA.
# PIE Board Member, N. Dallas High School.
# VIP Member, Cambridge Who’s Who.