Employee benefits are an important part of every employee's total compensation package. The continuously evolving landscape in the areas of health care reform, retirement plan design, and executive compensation makes it difficult for employee benefits professionals to keep up with relevant developments. BenefitsNotes.com highlights key developments in the employee benefits field and items of interest to our clients, colleagues, peers and others interested in the field.
The Employee Benefits and Compensation practice at Leonard, Street and Deinard works with clients to design, implement and maintain employee benefit programs. As part of an employer’s compensation strategy, these programs can help align employee interests with the goals of the owners, maximize tax deferrals and tax savings associated with desired benefits, and provide a competitive edge in attracting and maintaining excellent employees. Certain benefits planning strategies can also be used to structure efficient business succession and wealth transfer. The group’s member attorneys have in excess of 50 years of combined experience working with employers, administrators and the government agencies that regulate these plans and programs.
We have broad experience in all aspects of compensation and employee benefits, including:
- Qualified retirement plans, including pension, profit sharing and 401(k) plans.
- 403(b) and 457 retirement and deferred compensation plans for tax-exempt and government organizations.
- Welfare plans, including medical, dental, life insurance and disability plans.
- Cafeteria/flexible benefit plans, including medical expense and dependent care expense reimbursement plans, health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs) and health savings accounts (HSAs).
- Top hat supplemental benefit plans (deferred compensation plans for select management employees)
- HIPAA, COBRA, FMLA compliance.
- ERISA compliance audits (preemptive, voluntary audits of benefit plans).
- IRS and Department of Labor audits.
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs).
- Employee Stock Purchase Plans (ESPPs).
- Equity based incentive plans, including option plans, restricted stock plans, stock appreciation rights plans and phantom stock plans.
- Fiduciary advice and policy development, including providing guidance to compensation committees and boards of directors.
- Multiemployer pension and welfare fund trustee representation.
- Multiemployer pension plan withdrawal liability issues for employers.
- Pension funding waivers.
- Plan terminations and mergers.
- Benefits aspects of corporate acquisitions and mergers.
- Benefits administration (including TPA support).
- ERISA claims defense and prosecution.
Honors and Awards
- Angela Bohmann and Jeff Cairns are regularly selected for inclusion as Super Lawyers®. Angela was included as one of the Top 100 Women Minnesota Super Lawyers® in 2009.
- Angela Bohmann has been recognized for more than ten years as one of The Best Lawyers in America with a special emphasis in employee benefits.
- Corporate Counsel magazine has recognized Angela Bohmann as one of the top attorneys in ERISA and employee benefits in its nationwide listings.
- Angela Bohmann is a Fellow of the American College of Employee Benefits Counsel.
- Angela Bohmann was named to the Advisory Board for A Guide to Health Insurance Reform.
- Angela Bohmann is an emeritus member of the Great Lakes Area Tax Exempt/Government Entities Council.
-Jeff Cairns been named among The Best Lawyers in America in the area of employee benefits law.
- Jeff Cairns has been named as one of the Top Rated - AV® Preeminent™ Lawyers by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Jeff Cairns was elected to the Great Lakes Area Tax Exempt/Government Entities Council.