As reported here previously, the District of Columbia Council passed the Universal Paid Leave Amendment Act of 2016, which was signed into law on February 17, 2017. On July 1, 2019, the District began collecting taxes from employers to fund the program. On July 1, 2020, the District will begin administering paid leave benefits.
The Paid Leave Act provides up to:
- 8 weeks of paid leave to bond with a new child
- 6 weeks of paid leave to care for a family member with a serious health condition
- 2 weeks of paid leave to care for your own serious health condition
3 Key Resources
- The D.C. Department of Employment Services (DOES) has published helpful FAQs on the new law, addressing many COVID-related issues.
- The final regulations also address many issues that arise under the law.
- A link to the required employee notice that must be posted is available here.
How We Can Help
If D.C. employers have not updated their policies and handbooks to address the new law, they should do so promptly.