Pro bono services are celebrated every day. For example, when a client gets the temporary restraining order he/she has waiting for, when a team of lawyers commits to assisting with a long-term advocacy project for individuals with disabilities, or when a domestic violence legal services clinic is fully staffed and ready to help anyone who walks through the door. These are wins that do not go unnoticed or unappreciated. The purpose of having an entire month dedicated to celebrating pro bono, however, is to have a devoted period of time to push for those new opportunities and relationships to be formed in order to continue the great pro bono service attorneys participate in all year long.
So, how can you kick-start this month-long celebration?
- Start a conversation with clients, local organizations, and colleagues about pro bono services and what needs they have identified;
- Challenge your colleagues to get involved in a pro bono matter or select a pro bono matter to work on together;
- Take time to set your personal pro bono goals to finish out the year of 2021;
- Attend a local Pro Bono Month celebration;
- Take a pro bono training to expand your pro bono skillset; or
- Find ways to share your passion for pro bono with those around you.
There is no better time than the present, and in this month-long celebration of pro bono, to serve your communities. As we celebrate national Pro Bono Month, may we all continue to reach for those pro bono goals and offer the best legal services we can to those who need our assistance.