On July 08, 2020, Immigration informed about the extension of the measures for the services provided by its offices.
The following measures are the most important:
- New applications for legal stay (residency application, short term visa, special category) will be received as of September 18, 2020.
- The validity of the birth certificate, police record, and marriage certificate, is extended through November 18, 2020.
- The validity of the ID residency card of permanent residents will be extended through September 30, 2020.
- The ID residency cards for temporary residencies and special categories, that have expired after December 18, 2019, will be extended through September 30, 2020.
- The ID cards for short term visas that have expired after March 17, 2020, are extended until October 18, 2020. Those foreigners whose short term visa expired before March 17, 2020, and who have not requested the renewal or category change, must leave the country.
- The legal stay for foreigners under the tourism category, who entered after December 17, 2019, will be extended through November 18, 2020.
- Appointments for the documentation process for the first time and renewal of ID cards (except for the first time of the short term visa) will be granted at the offices of the Banco de Costa Rica (BCR) or the Costa Rican Post Office.
- The duly notified resolution where they are granted the category for short term visa for the first time will be the document that proves their legal stay in the country.