Frequently Asked Immigration Questions and Answers

by Scott Legal, P.C.

1.     If I get a Work based Visa, Can I Work for Another Company or Work on Something Else?

Generally a non-immigrant (temporary) work based Visa only allows you to work in the profession and on the tasks that the Visa was issued for.  For example, if you get a TN Visa that allows you to work as a doctor or lawyer for a company, you will only be permitted to work for that company and you could not say take clients on the side and charge them.  Similarly, if you start a business and get an E-2 Visa, you can only conduct business associated with the business activities that you listed on your application.  For example, if you get an E-2 Visa because you open a coffee shop, you could not then open a grocery store in conjunction with your coffee shop.  Your work activities in this case would be limited to running the coffee shop.  If you have a green card, you can work anywhere in the United States without restriction.

2.     What Happens if I Overstay My Visa or Work Without Authorization?

You are only permitted to stay in the United States for the time designated on your I-94 form and any overstay can cause you problems.  This is a complicated area but generally speaking the longer you stay in the country without status, the harder it will be for you to obtain a visa in the future.  Some overstays combined with unauthorized work can result in a permanent bar from the U.S..  If you have overstayed your Visa, you should consult an immigration attorney right away.  Often for short overstays, an attorney can work with you to put your best foot forward with the government.  Also, when you apply for almost every Visa after you have already had one in the U.S., the government wants you to PROVE that you maintained lawful status after your Visa expired or show proof that you left the country.  It is NOT sufficient to just say that I lost my airline ticket or I drove across the border as it is your responsibility to prove that you maintained status. Also, you should note that organizations are required to report to the U.S. government when employment terminates.  For example, when you have an H-1B visa, an employer is required by law to communicate to the government when your employment ends.  Do not make the mistake that the government is not well connected and a lie or omission could cost you a future Visa.

3.     How Long Do I Have To Wait For My Visa or Green Card?

The answer really depends on the Visa and where you are applying.  Each government processing center publishes estimates of how long it will take to process a Visa and you should consult that listing for general timing.  This timing is not however a guarantee.  If you want a Visa processed within 15 days, you can opt for something called premium processing.  While expensive ($1225) the government guarantees an answer in 15 business days.  You should note that not all Visas are available for premium processing and you can get a list of what is eligible from your attorney.  For green cards, the wait really depends on the category you are applying from and the country you are from. The government publishes a calendar of when Visas (green cards) in each category come current but the schedule is quite confusing.  Consult a lawyer if you have questions.

4.     If I Get A Green Card How Am I Taxed?

If you get a green card you are considered a resident for tax purposes and you will be taxed on your WORLDWIDE income.  You should consult with a lawyer or tax professional if you have significant income from other countries as even if the tax rate is zero in your country, you will have to pay tax on this in the U.S.. There are many options you could consider so that you are not taxed in the U.S. so getting good advice is crucial.  For example, instead of getting an EB-5 Visa (the million dollar green card), you could consider getting an E-2 Visa.  An E-2 Visa gives you many of the benefits of a green card but as it is a temporary Visa you will only pay tax in the U.S. for U.S. source income.

5.     If I Am Already in the United States Do I have To Leave And Reenter the U.S. if I Want To Change Visas?

If you are in the U.S. and have a valid Visa, you will most likely be able to “change status” by filing the appropriate petitions.  For example, if you are on an H-1B Visa and you want to open a small business, you can file a change of status petition and submit the appropriate documentation to the U.S. government.  Be careful when you change status though as the change may not be sufficient for an “entry” Visa.  That is, it may give you lawful status in the country but you will need to apply for a Visa at a U.S. consulate if you leave the U.S. and want to reenter.   This area is a bit complicated but it is best to think of a Visa as a bundle of rights that you use to enter the country.  That bundle allows you to work or do what the Visa was issued for and that is the basis for entry.   Generally speaking, a change of status will change your status but will not give you a new Visa for entry purposes.  As such, when you reenter, the government will want to see which Visa you are entering on and typically the “old” Visa is the one that will be in your passport.  Here is a more concrete example, above I mentioned a person who may want to change from an H-1B to a E-2 Visa.  If this person filed a change of status, he/she would be able to stay in the country in valid E-2 status but would not have an E-2 VISA in their passport.  If the person left the country, he/she would be required to re-apply for the E-2 Visa at a U.S. consulate as they could not reenter with the H-1B Visa.  This is a confusing area so you should consult an immigration attorney for sure.

6.     Can I Be Deported If I Get A Green Card?

Yes.  Although a green card is called a “permanent” resident card, it is far from permanent.  There are a number of reasons one can be deported with a green card including, but not limited to, committing a serious crime and crimes of moral turpitude (no-one really knows what this means).  Also, if you leave the country for an extended period of time, you can lose your green card.  Do not be fooled into thinking that you cannot be deported and you should speak to an immigration attorney if you are not a citizen and are charged with any crime. Many have made the grave mistake of pleading guilty to a crime only to later realize that the conviction has a serious consequence on their immigration standing.

7.     If I Get A Green Card Do I Have To Stay In The U.S.?

Green cards are made available for people who want to live in the U.S. and the U.S. Government requires that you spend time here.  If you leave the U.S. for 6 months, you could run into difficulty and if you leave for one year you have abandoned your green card.  You should at least return to the U.S. periodically if you want to maintain your green card and you should keep the proof of entry in case you are questioned later about any absences.

8.     Should I Pay an Immigration Lawyer Or Do The Work Myself.

There are some immigration forms where you do not need a lawyer.  For example, the forms for the diversity lottery are quite simple and you can do those yourself.  Also, some of the family based forms can be somewhat procedural and a careful meticulous person could work on some of the forms.  While some can work on immigration forms themselves, you will always be well served by having a lawyer either review the forms or prepare them.  Given the importance of an Immigration application and the consequence of completing your petition incorrectly, you should get an experienced Immigration lawyer.  Scott Legal Services, P.C. has often taken over cases where people thought they could file their petition on their own and have made errors which have jeopardized their status in the U.S..  Also, Immigration is a tricky area and there are many things a good lawyer can point out to you that may ultimately save you far more than you will ever pay the lawyer.  Your chances of a successful petition will ALWAYS be improved if you use a qualified immigration attorney.

9.     How Do I Find A Good Immigration Lawyer?

Make sure and ask your immigration lawyer whether or not he/she has handled your particular type of case before and ask how many they have handled.  You should also feel free to ask what types of issues the attorney has encountered with your type of case.  Also, check to make sure that the lawyer is a member of AILA as most reputable immigration lawyers are members of this organization.

10.   Why Should You Use Scott Legal Services, P.C.?

Scott Legal Services, P.C. is a New York based law firm offering legal immigration expertise with a personal touch. The firm’s practice covers all areas of immigration law, including family-based immigration, employment-based immigration for individuals and companies, permanent residence or green cards, temporary or non-immigrant visas, asylum, citizenship, deportation and many other immigration areas.  The firm can guide you through the intricate world of complex immigration issues and we will offer up various immigration solutions for you.

We keep careful track of the ever changing immigration laws so that we can maximize the effective representation of our clients, and we do not shy away from difficult or complex cases. Our membership in the highly prestigious and informative American Immigration Lawyers Association (“AILA”) ensures that our clients receive updated, accurate, and comprehensive advice.

Our firm fees are both reasonable and competitive and your exact fee will depend on the immigration petition you want filed, the complexity of the issues, or the length of time and work involved. Although the emotional impact on you and your loved ones may be great during the immigration process, be assured that Scott Legal Services, P.C. will do everything in its power to secure an outcome for you that will be a positive one.  We want to help you to begin a new era in your life.

Look to Scott Legal Services, P.C. for immigration help in the following areas:

  • Green Card / Permanent Resident
  • Green Card Through Family
  • Green Card Through Employment
  • Green Card Through A Job Offer
  • Green Card Through Investment
  • Green Card When You Do Not Have A Job Offer
  • Green Card Categories
  • Temporary Employment Based Immigration Visas
  • Other Temporary Visas

Contact Scott Legal Services, P.C., today and let us help you with your Immigration needs.  You can also call us at212-223-2964 or email us at

Click here for PDF Version.

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Scott Legal, P.C. | Attorney Advertising

Written by:

Scott Legal, P.C.

Scott Legal, P.C. on:

Readers' Choice 2017
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:
Sign up using*

Already signed up? Log in here

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.
Custom Email Digest
Privacy Policy (Updated: October 8, 2015):

JD Supra provides users with access to its legal industry publishing services (the "Service") through its website (the "Website") as well as through other sources. Our policies with regard to data collection and use of personal information of users of the Service, regardless of the manner in which users access the Service, and visitors to the Website are set forth in this statement ("Policy"). By using the Service, you signify your acceptance of this Policy.

Information Collection and Use by JD Supra

JD Supra collects users' names, companies, titles, e-mail address and industry. JD Supra also tracks the pages that users visit, logs IP addresses and aggregates non-personally identifiable user data and browser type. This data is gathered using cookies and other technologies.

The information and data collected is used to authenticate users and to send notifications relating to the Service, including email alerts to which users have subscribed; to manage the Service and Website, to improve the Service and to customize the user's experience. This information is also provided to the authors of the content to give them insight into their readership and help them to improve their content, so that it is most useful for our users.

JD Supra does not sell, rent or otherwise provide your details to third parties, other than to the authors of the content on JD Supra.

If you prefer not to enable cookies, you may change your browser settings to disable cookies; however, please note that rejecting cookies while visiting the Website may result in certain parts of the Website not operating correctly or as efficiently as if cookies were allowed.

Email Choice/Opt-out

Users who opt in to receive emails may choose to no longer receive e-mail updates and newsletters by selecting the "opt-out of future email" option in the email they receive from JD Supra or in their JD Supra account management screen.


JD Supra takes reasonable precautions to insure that user information is kept private. We restrict access to user information to those individuals who reasonably need access to perform their job functions, such as our third party email service, customer service personnel and technical staff. However, please note that no method of transmitting or storing data is completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of user information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time.

If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, you must immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us at In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your user information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development and, if so, will endeavor to do so as promptly as practicable under the circumstances.

Sharing and Disclosure of Information JD Supra Collects

Except as otherwise described in this privacy statement, JD Supra will not disclose personal information to any third party unless we believe that disclosure is necessary to: (1) comply with applicable laws; (2) respond to governmental inquiries or requests; (3) comply with valid legal process; (4) protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of JD Supra, users of the Service, Website visitors or the public; (5) permit us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain; and (6) enforce our Terms & Conditions of Use.

In the event there is a change in the corporate structure of JD Supra such as, but not limited to, merger, consolidation, sale, liquidation or transfer of substantial assets, JD Supra may, in its sole discretion, transfer, sell or assign information collected on and through the Service to one or more affiliated or unaffiliated third parties.

Links to Other Websites

This Website and the Service may contain links to other websites. The operator of such other websites may collect information about you, including through cookies or other technologies. If you are using the Service through the Website and link to another site, you will leave the Website and this Policy will not apply to your use of and activity on those other sites. We encourage you to read the legal notices posted on those sites, including their privacy policies. We shall have no responsibility or liability for your visitation to, and the data collection and use practices of, such other sites. This Policy applies solely to the information collected in connection with your use of this Website and does not apply to any practices conducted offline or in connection with any other websites.

Changes in Our Privacy Policy

We reserve the right to change this Policy at any time. Please refer to the date at the top of this page to determine when this Policy was last revised. Any changes to our privacy policy will become effective upon posting of the revised policy on the Website. By continuing to use the Service or Website following such changes, you will be deemed to have agreed to such changes. If you do not agree with the terms of this Policy, as it may be amended from time to time, in whole or part, please do not continue using the Service or the Website.

Contacting JD Supra

If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, your dealings with this Web site, or if you would like to change any of the information you have provided to us, please contact us at:

- hide
*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.