Following our previous communications and regarding the measures being taken by the Government of the Republic of Guatemala, we hereby inform you of the changes to the Presidential Dispositions for COVID-19 in Guatemala dated March 16 and 21 of 2020.
On March 29, 2020, the “Presidential Provisions in Case of Public Calamity and Orders for Strict Compliance” dated March 28, 2020, were published in the Official Newsletter (Diario de Centro América).
The following is a summary of only the most relevant of the modified aspects to the previous presidential dispositions:
Temporary scope, repeal, and validity
- The new provisions became effective as of Monday, March 30, 2020, at 0:00 a.m.
Suspension of work and activities in the public and private sector
- It suspends the activities of the entities of the State, Executive Organism and the Private Sector, until Sunday, April 12, 2020 (establishing that the term may be reduced or extended according to the presidential provision).
Executive exhortation in labor relations and social security
- It establishes that occupational health is the responsibility of employees, workers and union organizations who are urged to carry out the suspension of employment contracts in the modality, form and time that each individual or collective situation warrants.
- Calls for workers and employees to enter into agreements within the legal framework and that they are made in strict compliance with the principles of labor law.
- Exhorts the Guatemalan Social Security Institute to provide solutions with those who generate financing for the social security system.
Social security and restrictions on freedom of movement
- It limits the transit, movement of people, crew, passengers, vehicles or all types of private land transport and passengers between 4:00 p.m. of the day until 4:00 a.m. of the following day, the provisions will be in effect between Monday, March 30, 2020, to Sunday, April 12, 2020.