Tuesday, August 24, 2021: See Your State’s Race & Ethnicity by County
The U.S. Census Bureau released State-by-State Visualizations of Key Demographic Trends from the 2020 Census. The 52 individual data profiles are in conjunction with its series America Counts: Stories Behind the Numbers. These data are available due to therecent 2020 Census Redistricting Data Summary File release (see In The Know below).
These sharable data-rich state profiles are available for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. The data visualizations include population, housing, race, ethnicity, diversity, and age – all on one page per state by county!
Race by Ethnicity
Category filters for race include:
- White alone
- White in combination
- Black or African American alone
- Black or African American in combination
- Black or African American alone or in combination
- American Indian and Alaska Native alone
- American Indian and Alaska Native in combination
- American Indian and Alaska Native alone or in combination
- Asian American alone
- Asian in combination
- Asian alone or in combination
- Native Hawaiian & Other Pacific Islander alone
- Native Hawaiian & Other Pacific Islander in combination
- Native Hawaiian & Other Pacific Islander alone or in combination
- Some Other Race alone
- Some Other Race in combination
- Some Other Race alone or in combination
- Two or More Races
In The Know
In 1975, Congress enacted Public Law (P.L.) 94-171 (Redistricting Data) to provide states the opportunity to identify the small area geography for which they need data to conduct legislative redistricting. The law also requires the U.S. Census Bureau to furnish population tabulations to each state, including for those small areas the states have identified, within one year of Census day.
The 2020 Census used the required two separate questions (one for Hispanic or Latino origin and one for race) to collect the races and ethnicities of the U.S. population – following the standards set by the U.S. Office of Management & Budget (OMB) 1997 revision of Directive 15.