On September 9, 2021, President Joseph Biden released his COVID-19 Action Plan titled “Path Out of the Pandemic.” President Biden’s plan is wide-ranging, and includes the following for businesses:
- The Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (“OSHA”) will develop a rule that requires all employers with more than 100 employees to “ensure their workforce is fully vaccinated or require any workers who remain unvaccinated to produce a negative test result on at least a weekly basis before coming to work.”
- OSHA will also develop a rule that require employers with more than 100 employees to provide paid time off for the time that it takes for workers to get vaccinated or recover if they suffer post-vaccination symptoms.
- The President’s Plan “calls on” large entertainment venues like sports arenas and concert halls to “require that their patrons be vaccinated or show a negative test for entry.”
President Biden’s plan also includes the following provisions regarding schools:
- The President’s Plan “calls for Governors to require vaccinations for teachers and school staff.”
- The President’s Plan calls on “all schools to set up regular testing in their schools for students, teachers, and staff consistent with CDC guidance.” The CDC currently recommends screening testing being offered to students who have not been fully vaccinated when community transmission is at moderate, substantial or high levels.
- Local school districts will be able to apply to the Department of Education in the coming weeks to funding withheld by state leaders when a school district “implemented strategies to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in schools.”