Chinese citizens who would like to travel to the United States now can have a visa valid for up to 10 years.  Previously, the limit was one year.  During President Obama’s November 2014 visit to China, the two countries agreed to reciprocal expansion of the timeframe.

This does not mean a Chinese citizen can remain in the United States for 10 years.  A visa allows a person who comes to a U.S. port of entry at an airport or border crossing to “knock on the door.”  Immigration officers with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) under the Department of Homeland Security determine the length of stay for each visit.  Immigration regulations allow for business visitors with B-1 visas and tourists with B-2 visas to remain for up to one year, but the more typical period of stay allowed is 90 days or six months, or a period needed to accomplish the purpose of the visit.  However, a 10-year visa eliminates the need for annual visits to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for visa renewals for subsequent travel to the United States.

Student F-1 visa and exchange visitor J-1 visa validity is increased from one to five years.  Even with a five-year visa, an exchange visitor generally only can remain up to 18 months, plus a grace period of 30 days after the status ends.  Students may remain in the U.S. for the period of time needed to complete the study, plus one year optional practical training after completing a degree, plus a 60-day grace period.

Visitors with B-1 or B-2 status are not permitted to work for a U.S. employer.  Students and exchange visitors have work options that must be closely tied to the study or exchange purpose of the visa.