Are you entitled to support from an estate?


Your father has just died. You are in school and your father was paying your tuition and some of your bills. You are shocked to find out that your father left you nothing under his will. What are your options?

Perhaps you will decide to challenge your father’s will. If you do, you will have a difficult job ahead of you. Normally, when a person makes a will, he is free to leave his assets to anyone he wishes. To be successful in setting your father’s will aside, you must have a legal basis for challenging it. It is not enough to claim that the will should be set aside because it is unfair.

You will probably have to prove one of these three things:

-Either your father did not have the capacity to make a will

-While he signed the will, he did not approve of its contents, or

-Someone influenced him to make the will and the influence was more than the court will allow.

Please see full article below for more information.

LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.

Topics:  Succession Law Reform Act, Support Orders

Published In: Civil Remedies Updates, Wills, Trusts, & Estate Planning Updates

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Lerners LLP | Attorney Advertising

Don't miss a thing! Build a custom news brief:

Read fresh new writing on compliance, cybersecurity, Dodd-Frank, whistleblowers, social media, hiring & firing, patent reform, the NLRB, Obamacare, the SEC…

…or whatever matters the most to you. Follow authors, firms, and topics on JD Supra.

Create your news brief now - it's free and easy »