On almost a daily basis we receive calls from clients and potential clients who ask us the difference between “Changing Status in the U.S.” and “Adjusting Status in the U.S.” The words sound the same but the procedures are quite different. When one “Changes Status” in the U.S. it is done in the context of shifting or moving from one Nonimmigrant Visa Status to another. On the other hand, when someone wants to “Adjust their Status” this means that they are seeking to obtain Lawful Permanent Residence in the U.S. (usually by moving or shifting from a nonimmigrant status to the green card.

LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.

Published In: Administrative Agency Updates, Immigration Updates, International Trade Updates, Labor & Employment Updates

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© NPZ Law Group, P.C. (f/k/a Nachman & Associates, P.C.) | Attorney Advertising

Don't miss a thing! Build a custom news brief:

Read fresh new writing on compliance, cybersecurity, Dodd-Frank, whistleblowers, social media, hiring & firing, patent reform, the NLRB, Obamacare, the SEC…

…or whatever matters the most to you. Follow authors, firms, and topics on JD Supra.

Create your news brief now - it's free and easy »