Documentation Needed for “Deferred Action”


On June 15, 2012, President Barack Obama announced the launch of the “deferred action” program to suspend immigration enforcement actions against qualifying individuals who came to this country as children.

Since then, the federal immigration authorities have made clear that individuals who wish to qualify for “deferred action” status must have documentation proving that: (1) they were under the age of 31 years as of June 15, 2012, and they came to the U.S. before age 16; (2) they have resided in the U.S. continuously for at least five years prior to and including June 15, 2012; and (3) they are in school, have graduated high school or have obtained a certificate of General Education Development evidencing the equivalent of a high school education, or they are an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard or Armed Forces.

So what kinds of documentation will satisfy the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services?

For proof of identity, a deferred action applicant should have:

  • a passport or national identity document from the applicant’s country of origin;
  • a birth certificate with photo ID;
  • a school or military ID with photo; or
  • any U.S. government document bearing the applicant’s name and photo.

For proof of date of arrival in the U.S., an applicant should have:

  • passport with admission stamp;
  • Form I-94, I-95 or I-94W;
  • School records from the U.S. schools attended;
  • any immigration and naturalization document stating date of entry into the U.S.;
  • travel records; and/or
  • hospital and medical records.

For proof of presence in the U.S. on June 15, 2012, and proof of continuous residency since June 15, 2007, an applicant should have:

  • rent receipts or utility bills;
  • employment records;
  • school records;
  • military records;
  • official records from a religious institution confirming participation in religious ceremonies;
  • passport entries;
  • birth certificates;
  • dated bank transactions;
  • social security cards;
  • auto license receipts or registrations;
  • deeds, mortgages, rental agreement contracts and the like;
  • insurance policies and/or
  • tax receipts.

For proof of honorable discharge from service in the U.S. Coast Guard or Armed Forces, the applicant should have:

  • a Form DD-2214 “Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”;
  • a NGB Form 22 “National Guard Report of Separation and Record of Service”;
  • military personnel records; and/or
  • military health records.

If you need assistance with a deferred action request, do not hesitate to contact our office for an appointment to speak with a qualified immigration lawyer at (847) 564-0712. You can also check out our immigration law Website for more information about how we might assist you.

Written by:

Published In:

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Ronald Shapiro | Attorney Advertising

Don't miss a thing! Build a custom news brief:

Read fresh new writing on compliance, cybersecurity, Dodd-Frank, whistleblowers, social media, hiring & firing, patent reform, the NLRB, Obamacare, the SEC…

…or whatever matters the most to you. Follow authors, firms, and topics on JD Supra.

Create your news brief now - it's free and easy »

All the intelligence you need, in one easy email:

Great! Your first step to building an email digest of JD Supra authors and topics. Log in with LinkedIn so we can start sending your digest...

Sign up for your custom alerts now, using LinkedIn ›

* With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name.