Five-Year Travel History Now Available From U.S. Customs and Border Protection


Canadian PassportAs of May 1, 2014, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) upgraded its I-94 website by now giving non-immigrants* to the United States access to the last five years of their travel history. Previously, non-immigrants were only able to access their most recent arrival/departure record information. This new feature will assist travelers in documenting prior travel to the United States, which is needed for many immigration applications. Travelers can access their most recent arrival/departure information and travel history at

By way of background, USCBP’s Form I-94 arrival/departure record provides all non-immigrants proof of their lawful admission to the United States. This form verifies the most recent date of entry, class of admission (immigration status), “admit-until” date (length of admission), and in some cases, employment authorization.

When visiting the I-94 webpage, travelers can retrieve their arrival/departure record number and five-year travel history by entering their name as stated on their passport, their date of birth, and their passport number. To retrieve the most recent arrival/departure record, simply click on “Get Most Recent I-94.” Please note: this information does not reflect changes of status, extensions of stay, or adjustments of status (lawful permanent residence) granted by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. In order to obtain a traveler’s five-year travel history, travelers can click on “Get Travel History.” Both options allow travelers to print the records for their personal use.

This new feature of the I-94 website is designed to eliminate the need for persons to file Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests for their travel history. In fact, USCBP has requested that travelers cancel pending FOIA requests for travel history information assuming they have received the needed information from the website. To cancel a FOIA request, applicants should enter their FOIA request number and click on the “Request FOIA Cancellation” button. Another way to withdraw a pending FOIA request is for applicants to log into their FOIA account at and click on the “withdraw” button.

* Non-immigrants are people who enter the United States on a temporary basis: visitors for business and for pleasure, treaty traders and investors, students, temporary workers and trainees, exchange visitors, intracompany transferees, and religious workers, among others.


DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Hodgson Russ LLP | Attorney Advertising

Written by:


Hodgson Russ LLP on:

Readers' Choice 2017
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:

Sign up to create your digest using LinkedIn*

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.

Already signed up? Log in here

*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.