Immigration Options for Seasonal Workers


Now that summer is upon us, many employers are looking to seasonal workers to fulfill their employment needs. Depending on the type of work to be performed and the duration of employment, there are a number of work visa options for seasonal workers, including the following:

  • The H-2A visa is available for temporary or seasonal agricultural workers. The visa is limited to citizens or nationals of specific designated countries, however.
  • The H-2B visa is available for temporary or seasonal non-agricultural workers. Like the H-2A visa, it is limited to citizens or nationals of specific designated countries.
  • The H-3 visa is available for foreign nationals to receive training, other than graduate or medical or academic training, that is not available in his or her home country. It is also available for foreign nationals to receive education of children with mental, physical, or emotional disabilities.
  • The L-1 visa is available for intra-company transfers. Generally, an applicant must have worked abroad as an executive, manager or specialized employee for at least one continuous year within the previous three year period in order to qualify for the L-1 intra-company transfer visa.
  • The H-1B visa is available for foreign nationals employed in specialty occupations, such as scientists, engineers, or computer programmers. Although the H-1B visa lasts for three years, it is subject to strict quota caps.
  • The P visa is available for certain entertainers, circus artists, and athletes who wish to work temporarily in the U.S. or as a group entering the U.S. as a part of a reciprocal exchange program.
  • The TN visa is available for residents of Canada and Mexico who will enter the U.S. to be engaged in activities at a professional level, which is generally defined as a job that requires at least a baccalaureate degree or appropriate credentials.
  • The O visa is available for workers with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or the motion picture and television industry.

Regardless of the type of work performed and the duration of employment, all employers need to file a Form I-9 for each employee. Federal regulators are cracking down on I-9 noncompliance, issuing hefty fines for noncompliance, so it is incredibly important that employers be vigilant about complying with I-9 requirements.

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Ronald Shapiro | Attorney Advertising

Written by:


Ronald Shapiro on:

Readers' Choice 2017
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:

Sign up to create your digest using LinkedIn*

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.

Already signed up? Log in here

*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.